Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor Lights (next to front door)

Posted by xine (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 22, 10 at 15:27

I've just come from my "design center" appointment for my new house being built by Ryland Homes. I've upgraded the lights on the outside of the garage door to Progress Lighting's Coventry style. It's a fixture 20" long and there will be one either side of the garage door.

I added wiring to either side of the front door to add a similar fixture there as well, but didn't want a huge 20" fixture there. Thinking that I could find a smaller version of the same Coventry style online, I did not purchase a fixture from Ryland at the design center.

Now I've discovered that the smallest fixture available is a 17" model, which still seems large. What size fixture would you all recommend for this application? It's a single door opening and there will also be recessed lighting in the porch ceiling, so this is not the main lighting source. These will be more decorative than anything.

I just hate that I had to make all of my decisions in one 4 hour time period without the opportunity to research online and then come back!!! sigh... oh well...

Here is a link that might be useful: Progress Coventry fixture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor Lights (next to front door)

Choosing fixture size is all about proportion. Whether or not the 17" is too big depends on the space around it. If you have a large front porch where it won't feel like you you are going to walk into them it can work. If you have a petite front porch then that may be why the home designer only included the recessed fixture(s) as porch lighting. If the recessed fixtures are positioned to adequately light the steps and wash the door with light this will be a nice look. If you have a pretty entry door let that be the decoration. Not seeing the source of a light and only seeing something attractive well lit can be a very nice effect.

o
RE: Outdoor Lights (next to front door)

It's a pretty plain front porch and door (no window in the door and no side lights). The lights will help dress it up some. The porch is only about 6 feet deep, though it runs across the entire front of the house. This is a "tract" type house built by a national builder... there's not much "designer" qualities about it! Lol. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here