Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New ceiling light & fan smells like it's burning

Posted by linda_6 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 22, 11 at 12:17

My husband and I installed a new ceiling light & fan from Lowes (Hunter) and it smells like it's burning whenever we turn it on. Is this just the newness of it or should we be concerned? After awhile the smell seems to go away.

Linda from PA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New ceiling light & fan smells like it's burning

An update on this. It seems like we smell the burning when we turn on one of the switches. Right now we used the other switch to turn on the light and there is no smell at all. It's been on for over an hour. I'll have to have an electrician come and maybe check the switch.

o

Are any dimmer switches being used?

o

No we don't have any dimmer switches. On one side of the kitchen we have one switch for the light and on the other side of the room we have a double switch, one for the light and one for the outside light. This is the one that doesn't smell.

o

It may be just oil on the motor windings from manufacture then.

Check everything carefully, but if it is manufacturing oils it usually stops after a fairly short time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here