Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen lighting options for 7 foot ceiling

Posted by Maine_Mare (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 12 at 12:13

I was in the kitchen forum and they suggested I pop over here to get the input from this forum.

I'm renovating my kitchen and have some design challenges. The kitchen is a small room with 7' ceilings in an 1810 cape. I currently have a schoolhouse type light only and plan to replace that with a different style but same idea (with the benefit of updated wiring). I had also planned two pendant lights over the sink. They are recycled telegraph insulators (see link below).

Those in the kitchen forum were concerned that the pendants would be fussy when combined with the low ceiling.

What are your thoughts?

I'm not a big fan of recessed lighting but could resign myself to it if it is the best for a kitchen with such a low ceiling. I'm also having a very hard time finding a schoolhouse light that won't become a hazard to my 6'+ husband so recessed lighting could take care of that problem too.

We are doing a renovation that will honor the age of the house while updating what hasn't been touched in decades (such as adding grounded electricity). So I would like something that is reflective of our intention and is charming/quirky/unique.

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Telegraph pendants

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen lighting options for 7 foot ceiling

Is it possible to raise the ceiling?

I've written up a short description for LED recessed lighting on this forum. I think you will be pleasently surprised at the difference between LED lights for recessed cans vs conventional recessed cans.

Here is a link that might be useful: LED recessed can guide

o
RE: Kitchen lighting options for 7 foot ceiling

Unfortunately, no. My contractor checked the attic area above the kitchen and the framing is early 20th century so not beams that can be exposed and the cost of a complete ceiling raise isn't in our budget nor will the cost be a good use of funds in our area in this economy.

Thank you for the LED write up, I'll read that during my next work break.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here