Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maine_mare

Kitchen lighting options for 7 foot ceiling

Maine_Mare
12 years ago

I was in the kitchen forum and they suggested I pop over here to get the input from this forum.

I'm renovating my kitchen and have some design challenges. The kitchen is a small room with 7' ceilings in an 1810 cape. I currently have a schoolhouse type light only and plan to replace that with a different style but same idea (with the benefit of updated wiring). I had also planned two pendant lights over the sink. They are recycled telegraph insulators (see link below).

Those in the kitchen forum were concerned that the pendants would be fussy when combined with the low ceiling.

What are your thoughts?

I'm not a big fan of recessed lighting but could resign myself to it if it is the best for a kitchen with such a low ceiling. I'm also having a very hard time finding a schoolhouse light that won't become a hazard to my 6'+ husband so recessed lighting could take care of that problem too.

We are doing a renovation that will honor the age of the house while updating what hasn't been touched in decades (such as adding grounded electricity). So I would like something that is reflective of our intention and is charming/quirky/unique.

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Telegraph pendants

Comments (2)