Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Track light in center of room?

Posted by globe199 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 1, 11 at 11:27

Do you think it's OK to mount a track light in the center of a bedroom? Seems like they're usually closer to walls.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Track light in center of room?

My concern is getting enough light. It's a lower level bedroom on the north side of the house, so there's not much natural light. Right now I have two 2x2 fluorescent fixtures in the suspended ceiling. Those lights will go away. I want to make sure I can get nice, bright, warm light in this room. I'm thinking that a track light is the only way to go, since there's too much stuff above the ceiling grid to install a good array of recessed lights.

Thanks.

o

I'd use one or more conventional surface mount fixtures. That's probably going to be the easiest, most effective, and lowest cost approach.

Track lights are directional devices - better than cans since at least you can aim the light, but still not so good for overall room lighting.

o

Is there something you could suggest? I want something that looks nice. Appearance is a consideration here, which is why I'm looking at track lighting.

o

Is there something you could suggest?

That would be kind of tough without seeing the room. What I'd choose would depend on the height of the ceiling, the size of the room, and the style of the house. (As an old house fan, I tend to gravitate toward that style of fixture.)

And besides, what I'd choose would never match your taste. I'm just recommending that you look at surface mount fixtures.

Sorry to be so vague, but I'd suggest spending some time in a local lighting showroom, or at least look around online.

o

From your description, it seems that the 2x2 fluorescent fixtures are currently recessed into the ceiling.
Options
1. Replace the current fluorescent tubes with those that produce warmer light (2700k).
2. Flat LED panel lights in place of the fluorescent fixtures. There are a variety available.

3. Cover the recessed spots and install some surface mounted fixture

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here