Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
X-post - Lighting design help, please? Pics included

Posted by jsweenc (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 12, 10 at 10:06

The electricians are wiring for lights today. We had a consultation with the lighting guy earlier in the week. Overall we are going with his recommendations, but I wanted some input on pendants.
I am torn between two options:
- Put two large pendants over island, and a collection of minis over the table area

- Put about 5 minis over the island and one large one over the table.

(Third option - use all minis, two different styles and configurations)

I really like these for the large; they are classic, maybe a little boring (confirmed boring - just saw that Maxim calls them "builder basic")
The problem is they are 16" in diameter, which would probably be too big for the island (8.5' x 30"), even using only two. Lighting guy suggested minis over island and one large over table.
Photobucket

This one from Hinkley is 10"; not exactly like the one above but maybe a little more interesting?
Photobucket
With these, I would probably use three on the island

These are some of the minis I am considering
Photobucket
Clarity by WAC

Photobucket
Eden by WAC

Photobucket
Atlantis by WAC

If we put minis over the island, I was thinking of something like this, four or five in a line
Photobucket
If we did this, any of the three minis would work.

If we put minis over the table, I was picturing them like this, six or seven grouped on a circular plate and hung at different levels
Photobucket
If we did this, I think Clarity would work best (though the more I look at these stars, the more I like them).

I'd love to hear opinions, or suggestions for lights you think might look good in the space. I don't have any pictures that would really give a good idea of what we are doing, but here is the layout.
Photobucket

The light over the table would be in line north to south with the edge of the door on the north wall; in line west to east with the lower corner of the pantry bumpout

The rest of the kitchen will be recessed, all on one switch.

FYI -- the second island will be moving south (maybe to Florida if the weather doesn't get better soon!); there will be about 38" between islands; no pendants over smaller one

Thanks for your thoughts!

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here