Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooklynnina

Help: under-cabinet halogen puck lighting 'flickering'

brooklynnina
16 years ago

Hi - Hoping someone might have some insight into why our under-cab lights have started flickering on (and don't always come on entirely). Here's the scoop:

In our kitchen we have under-cabinet, puck-style, halogen lighting from Ikea installed, put in about a year ago. (These, if it matters: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10128381) They are not actually hard-wired; our contractor installed them so they plug into an outlet in the cabinet above. Can't remember now why, but didn't seem to be a problem--outlet is wired to a wall switch for easy on/off. For the first 6 months or so they worked fine.

Then one bulb burnt out--and maybe there's no connection, but very soon after replacing it I noticed the lights started flickering on gradually (almost the way a fluorescent bulb does). But they always turned on completely in a second or two, so I didn't worry about it. Then this morning, when they were on, they suddenly spontaneously gradually flickered off. When I tried turning them on again, they hovered in a "flickering" state, never turning on completely. I fiddled with the outlet and cord a bit and eventually got them to turn on again completely--but definitely seem to be slower and more flickery. I'm worried that they're gong to fade out entirely again.

Any idea what's wrong? I think the outlet itself is OK--our microwave is also plugged into it, and seems to have been functioning fine all this time (it's a very small, low-power microwave that we only use for little things). Could the fixtures themselves, or the cord they're on, be faulty? I'd hate to pay for an electrician to come in, if I could even find one who would, for something small like this...

Thanks!

Comments (3)