Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reveal bulb burning out in one day

Posted by wi-sailorgirl (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 8, 11 at 8:46

I have two identical new pendants in my bathroom. They take T10 bulbs and I put GE Reveal bulbs (so much better) in both of them. One of them has been fine and the other burns out in one day. This has happened with two bulbs in the one pendant. We tested it with a voltmeter and everything looks fine. I put a regular (non-Reveal) bulb in it because that's all I had and it's been going strong for well over a week now. So why would the Reveal bulbs of the same wattage burn out when the regular bulb doesn't?

Could it be we happened to get a bad "batch" of Reveal bulbs? If something was wrong with the light fixture wouldn't the same thing happen with the regular bulb?

I'm perplexed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reveal bulb burning out in one day

Could be a bad batch.

Another possibility: the "reveal" lamp might also produce more waste heat (especially since the envelope is tinted). If it builds up in the fixture, that might tend to shorten life.

The most common reason for premature failure of incandescent lamps is excessive vibration. Any chance that might apply here?

o

The Reveal bulbs we have used have lasted an average of 1800 hours. Are all are used indoors and bedrooms. We have since switched over to the Sylvania Daylight series and have been much happier with their longevity.

o

No vibration issues, David, but I put a third Reveal bulb in and it has worked fine since I wrote this, so I guess I'm leaning toward it being a bad batch, which is pretty irritating. I may pick up the Sylvania Daylights next time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here