Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pulleyman

LED Conversions Buzzing

Pulleyman
10 years ago

I recently had recessed lighting put in my kitchen. With the incandescent bulbs everything was fine. I switched to the LED conversions and now there is buzzing. I have removed the bulbs one at a time, but the buzzing is consistently there.
I don't think it is the switch because there was no problems with the incandescent.
Any ideas?

Comments (7)

• Michael
    10 years ago

Did you install a dimmer switch? Is it listed as compatible with the LED retrofit?

I have one that out of 17 sings a soft tune. I replaced it with another from the store and it still sings. I was told it may be its position on the line. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..really?

• Pulleyman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

haha, interesting.
    Well, I didn't see what switches the installer used, but he set up two seperate rooms and used the same switch in both rooms. The kitchen buzzes, the dinning room does not. He also recommened I buy the conversion kits, so I think he would have installed the proper switches.

• adrianjuaneli
    10 years ago

Mostly, The problem will be occurring at the place of switch. It will better to replace the switch with the new one which is suitable for led bulbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: led reflector design

• saftgeek
    10 years ago

I have LEDs in my build. I purchased 3 LED candelabra bulbs from Menards to retrofit a ceiling fan and they buzzed. I couldn't stand it so I re-packed them and took them back. I went to WalMart and seen they had some Great Value bulbs for around $10 each. Put these bulbs in and they don't buzz. I have figured out with LED you always keep the receipt and need to be willing to try another bulb if the results aren't what you desire. I had to change out fixtures to increase the K value and another for more lumens... It's taken me a while, but I think I understand the days of simply looking for a 60 watt replacement are loooooong gone.

I would find another bulb from another manufacturer and see if that does the trick. Hopefully you bought from a source which will allow you to return them.

Good luck...

Saftgeek-

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

LEDs are not interchangeable with incandescents. The switches often don't get enough power from the LEDs, which causes buzzing and flickering.

LED bulbs require compatible switches. Specifically compatible -- the bulb must be on the manufacturer's approved list for it to work. But the bulbs and the lists are subject to change.

Until the situation becomes sane, I'm doing a workaround. I keep 1 incandescent bulb in each light set to power the switches and use LEDs in the others.

• Michael
    10 years ago

Using the approved switch doesn't guarantee no buzzing.

The CREE daylights buzz, but the CREE soft white does not.

Figure that out.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

Wouldn't even try. I'd just use a different bulb brand. The idea that lightbulbs don't work properly/easily is ridiculous. A green contractor I know thinks it will be worked out in 18 months. I think it will take much longer.