Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janesylvia

Look good if recessed lights are not symmetrically distributed?

janesylvia
11 years ago

I have a living room of size 16'x13'. Family room is of similar size. Right now, there are no lights there. The ceiling is only 8' high. I'd like to have Cree recessed LED lights installed. I would either buy 6" 600 lumen ones from local Home Depot or the Cree CR6-800L 800 lumen ones from online.

Would it be fine that wall (where piano and sofa are) to light: 3.5', inter-lights distance: 5', light to another wall: 4.5' (there is a register at 1' from the wall. So another sofa would be put 1' from the wall)?

The contractor said he would rather install the recessed lights in symmetrical way. 3.5', 6', 3.5'. He said it would look nice and would be liked by buyers if I want to sell the house in the future (It's in a very good school district so has much higher price, and many people sell the house after kids go to college). But practically, I like the 3.5', 5', 4.5' layout better. First, it would make better use of lights since I would not put anything between the sofa and the window due to the register (1' away from the wall with windows) on the floor. Second, 5' inter-lights distance might result in better light at center than 6' inter-lights distance.

So should I listen to the contractor and have the symmetrical distribution (3.5', 6', 3.5') or have the more practical way (3.5', 5', 4.5')? He said asymmetric layout would not look good and would affect future resale of the house. Is the contractor right? Which way should I choose?

Any input or sharing of experience is greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz