Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Display lighting

Posted by mdod (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 8, 09 at 0:49

I have a recessed display area in an alcove that is 16" deep, 4' wide and 5'6" tall. I want to put a mirror on the back wall and glass shelves 10-12" deep. There are a couple of track lights but I need downlighting for the display since the space is recessed. The studs above break the space into three equal parts. I assume I will need to use three lights because I'd have to put the cans too far to the outside edge to clear the studs if I used only two. I'd like to use LED but they're still too steep so something with bulbs that I could convert to LED later would be great. Any suggestions for what type of lighting to use would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Display lighting

Use three 12 volt Philips Energy Advantage IR MR16 lamps/fixtures for a display niche like what you've described. LED replacements for MR16s are here now but not quite ready. They need to overcome optics problems and increase light output.

o

Thanks dim4fun. Any particular beam angle that you would recommend?

o

Choosing a beam angle partly depends on what you expect to see and what you are displaying. Objects on the top shelves block light from reaching lower shelves. Some want even illumination with wide beams and others want dramatic shadowing with narrow beams. If you don't know then you'll have to experiment and see what you like.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here