Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marc_ia

antique floor lamp with a 3 way 100/200/300!!!

marc_ia
14 years ago

We just moved to a new townhome with a two story living room and its not real light because of a lack of windows. So I am trying to figure out the best kind of lamps to get. I unpacked an antique floor lamp that I recently got when my parents passed away. It needs rewired and a new lamp shade and I decided to plug it in to see if I thought it was worth it. I grew up with this lamp so it has sentimental value but I did also remember it was great lighting. Well....I turned it on and it lit up the whole room!!! When it cooled off enough, I looked at the bulbs. It has a middle light in a white ceramic open fixture and it had the three way 100/200/300...and then there are three other bulbs that are 40w. I would love to get this one fixed or find another one like it, but can you even buy those kinds of three way bulbs anymore? I did a search for six way floor lamps and some had the light in the middle but it was 150 at the most. If the higher wattage ones worked back then, why can't they today? The wiring in houses is probably better than in the old houses. Can someone help me understand this? I need some bright light in that room for reading etc.