Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recessed Lighting Question

Posted by bto24 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 23:16

We are going to be purchasing about 36 recessed lights for our home. I was wondering if anyone can direct me or share with me a check list of everything we need to make sure we have? Also, what is common right now as far as size? These are for our great room, hallways, and outdoors in the soffits. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
What is the best place to purchase them?
Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recessed Lighting Question

IMO, having installed more cans than I care to count, I would use 6" cans for general ambient light. I would light them with IC floods. 4" "wall washers" are often used for down lighting or to highlight art. Depending on the size and length of the hallway, you might want to consider sconces. We recently did outdoor soffit cans using 6" cans. they were out of the weather.

Don't know where you live. The big box stores carry a complete line usually HALO brand. If you have any lighting stores in your area that would be a good place to start. Lamps Plus and lights Fantastic are two regional stores. You may have others in your area.

o

I am looking to install 10 Halo 4" Recessed lighting fixtures -bulb types are 40W - in my apartment (livingroom and bedroom) I am on a 4th floor of a 7 floor building. Would they be a fire hazard?

o

They would need to be IC rated most likely. Check the manufacturer to determine if this is an available option. Also check with your local building codes to determine if IC rated is a requirements. Some building codes allow you you to install a box around the fixture comprised of two laters of drywall.

o

I Have a problem with folks piggybacking another person's post. It's pretty simple to start your own!

o

I am looking to change the baffle trim only on my 6" existing recessed lights. I need over 50 of them so it gets pretty expensive using the name brands. About 5 years ago I bought 1 sample from a company that advertised in the back of a magazine for only a couple of bucks. I installed it and then got busy with lots of other projects around the house, so I never ordered another. Until now- and of course I have no idea who the company is and can't find them anywhere. I did find Lighting on the Net-and they do have an inexpensive white baffle trim that is universal. Does anyone have any experience with that item. On the DIY forum, someone warned me that they might trurn from white to yellow, but they didn't know from personal experience. The one I have has been fine for 5 years already. Anyone have any answers of suggestions??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here