Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Help me understand "the rules" for foyer lighting

mrspete
11 years ago

I find myself at a loss to understand proper lighting for a foyer, and I could use some advice.

My new house'll be set up like this:

- When you walk in the front door you'll be in a small foyer. The foyer contains no staircase, but will hold a small, narrow table on the left. Probably a mirror above it. This is a country farmhouse, not a grand house, so the ceilings will be 8'. Whatever we do should be casual, simple, inviting, and charming -- not modern, not dramatic, not trendy.

- Standing with the front door at your back, you'll see the dining room on your right. Open casement, no door. The chandlier in the dining room will be medium-sized, rather casual, old bronze.

- Standing with the front door at your back, you'll see the great room straight ahead. Overhead will be a ceiling fan with a light kit underneath. Maybe a couple sconces flanking the fireplace.

I really have no idea what type of lighting is proper for a foyer. Since it's small and we'll have no staircase in the foyer, a large, grand light fixture seems inappropriate. My thoughts:

- In my current house I have a crystal chandalier (overdone for my taste) in the dining room and a mini-version of the same one in the foyer. This seems like a good choice when the two light fixtures are visible at the same time, but my new chandalier isn't available in a mini-version . . . and I do so love the new chandalier.

- A small hanging light fixture in the same shade of old bronze. Somewhat in the same "feel", though it can't match exactly. Better to go clearly different than to look like I tried to match and failed.

- No overhead light, but a lamp on the foyer table. Or two small lamps on the foyer table? With or without cans above?

- No overhead light, but two sconces framing the mirror over the foyer table. With or without cans above? If I go this route, should these sconces match the ones by the fireplace (which may, or may not actually come to fruition)?

It occurs to me as I type that this may be my question:
Is the foyer part of the dining room, since they are side-by-side and open to one another?
Or is the foyer part of the great room, since . . . well, I cannot formulate any reason it'd be part of the great room, given that they are "less open" to one another than the foyer/dining room combo.
Or is the foyer its own entity that need not match anything?

Please no "whatever you like" because I really don't know what I like in this situation and am not really finding ideas online. I'm looking for real advice, not a pat on the back for a choice I've already made! I'd be happy to hear how other people have approached foyer lighting -- with stories, good or bad.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (2)