Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

how to repair or convert fluorescent floor lamp?

When I search online I only find references for ceiling fixtures, and no pictures to help me identify parts. I have a floor lamp (identical to this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eyestrain-Reducing-Floor-Lamp-Antique-Brass-Cherry-Finish-56-Tall-250-Watts-/311265634617?pt=Lamps_US&hash=item4878e0a939) that just quit working. Thought it was the bulb, but 2 replacements that work in another lamp didn't work in this one. The bulb is a 4 pin, 3 u-shaped tube 55watt.

I removed the inside cover to see that there are 2 components that might need replacement: I suppose these are a starter and the ballast. One is a mostly cylindrical thing connected to the switch and covered with some insulation so that I can't see it directly. The other is a 3+ inch or so long circuit board looking thing covered with a plastic cover. No identifying marks that I can see.

It looks like simple wiring connections, but I wonder where/if I can get replacement components -- do they come in different sizes or types?

If the parts are expensive, difficult to find or difficult to change out, would it be possible to convert this lamp to one that will take an LED bulb?

Thanks, Raee

Comments (6)