Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurell_gw

Why do flush-mount fixtures have to look like boobs?!

laurell
13 years ago

How frustrating! We are newlyweds in our mid-20's and are trying to update our first house, a 70's ranch. Pretty much everything was original when we moved in. We're trying to get the best bang for our buck in terms of updates. We've replaced the countertop, sink & faucet, fridge, and range. The cabinets are getting new doors and a coat of paint in a few weeks. We're knocking down part of a wall to open up the floor plan and make our television (located in the only reasonable place to put it in the house) visible from the kitchen this weekend.

The next project is replacing the really classy 70's burnt orange crackle-glass light globes in the entry way and hall as well as the dining room chandelier over the table.

I'd like to spend more on the chandelier because I know I'll be looking at the chandelier all the time as I can see it from the kitchen and I am ALWAYS cooking. But that cuts down the budget available for the remainder of the lights we're getting on this swoop through.

I'd prefer to spend in the neighborhood of $50-$70 ea for some simple, somewhat classic oil-rubbed bronze flush mount light fixtures for the entry and hall, but the vast majority of the cheapies look like boobs. There's the trim piece that touches the ceiling, the glass bubble, and then the nipple at the end. I've found a few that don't have that same basic shape, but man! How hard is it to make something that's somewhat classic and clean, but also not an exact copy of everything else out there!?

Sorry for the venting.

Comments (6)

• bh401
    13 years ago

check out overstock.com and lightinguniverse.com before you give up on having a chandelier. You can find some good deals. I think I paid $80 for the chandelier over my tub in master bath. We are building and most of my lights have come from those two places. A nice statement in the foyer improves your whole house. It sets the tone before they(visitors) go any further.

• graycoupon
    13 years ago

HA! I'm glad that someone else see that too! My 3 year old calls our kitchen light a boob too :)

• ResourcefulDesigner
    13 years ago

I know exactly what you mean! I hate those things!
    I'm redoing my mothers kitchen and she hated those too so originally wanted to replace 2 of the 3 existing ceiling fixtures with a ceiling hugging pendant type with a longer pendant over the table. I explained that all those hanging in her small kitchen would be too busy and the other 2 would be competing with the pendant that will go over the table so talked her into letting me install 2 recessed potlights for the other 2. One over the back door entry and one in the work area...That left a clean ceiling so the only thing that will catch the eye is the pendant over the table and the one over the sink! I'm going to start a post of the kitchen update since the potlights are only thing installed so far...if I can figure out how! (kinda new here)

• David
    13 years ago

How about the following flat fixtures? Just an idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Circulux

• yellowdog2
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh! I just had an argument with my husband about this. He didn't want me to spend too much on the kids lighting and after days of looking on line all I could find was boobs. It was awful. I finally found flatter fixtures at lighting direct and figured I would put something more interesting on the side table. I've decided lighting is my least favorite part of building.
    Good Luck! I feel for you!

• dilettante_gw
    13 years ago

Good question. You might have better luck looking at semi-flush fixtures instead.

Try to find some pictures of fixtures that you like and would work in your home (even if you can't afford them), then take them to a lighting store and ask them to suggest something similar that fits in your budget.

Also, keep an eye out for bargains on Craigslist and eBay. The Materials section on the CL in my area (Boston) often has new lighting fixtures and other items that were ordered by mistake.