Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurell_gw

Why do flush-mount fixtures have to look like boobs?!

laurell
13 years ago

How frustrating! We are newlyweds in our mid-20's and are trying to update our first house, a 70's ranch. Pretty much everything was original when we moved in. We're trying to get the best bang for our buck in terms of updates. We've replaced the countertop, sink & faucet, fridge, and range. The cabinets are getting new doors and a coat of paint in a few weeks. We're knocking down part of a wall to open up the floor plan and make our television (located in the only reasonable place to put it in the house) visible from the kitchen this weekend.

The next project is replacing the really classy 70's burnt orange crackle-glass light globes in the entry way and hall as well as the dining room chandelier over the table.

I'd like to spend more on the chandelier because I know I'll be looking at the chandelier all the time as I can see it from the kitchen and I am ALWAYS cooking. But that cuts down the budget available for the remainder of the lights we're getting on this swoop through.

I'd prefer to spend in the neighborhood of $50-$70 ea for some simple, somewhat classic oil-rubbed bronze flush mount light fixtures for the entry and hall, but the vast majority of the cheapies look like boobs. There's the trim piece that touches the ceiling, the glass bubble, and then the nipple at the end. I've found a few that don't have that same basic shape, but man! How hard is it to make something that's somewhat classic and clean, but also not an exact copy of everything else out there!?

Sorry for the venting.

Comments (6)