Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rule of thumb for height of fixture?

Posted by olivia001 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 12, 09 at 20:26

Hi, all.

I'm ordering a fixture from Schoolhouse Electric and I'm wondering if there's a rule of thumb a/f/a what the distance should be between, say, the kitchen tabletop and the fixture/light. I have fairly low ceilings and I want to be careful to to hang them too low, but I also want enough light for reading, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rule of thumb for height of fixture?

A good rule of thumb is to hang a fixture 30" above a table surface.

o

What is the rule of thumb for the chandelier hanging height in a room? Let's say for example my ceiling height is 14'. This chandelier will be in the center of a room 16'x 20'. I am just not sure how high off the floor the bottom of the chandelier should be.

o

I posted the same question about a month ago in home decorating. I had a very detailed answer for different locations, do a seach called chandeliar height over table. My fixture is 41" down from the ceiling, with just under 8' ceiling. This is what the electrician recommend. Before the table in though it looked funny, but after table went in looks good.

o

30 to 34 inches above the table....if not over a table approximately 6'6" so it can be walked under. Of course that would not apply if the fixture is installed in a 2 story area such as a foyer.

Most tables are around 30.5 inches from the floor (not talking Pub style)...so at least 60.5 inches from the floor, would be a good starting point. It is easy enough to shorten it later if need be. Not so easy to lengthen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here