Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Utilitech Under Cabinet LED Lights Not Dimmable?!

Posted by sarends (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 19:58

OK, I don't do this every day (buy LED under cabinet lights), but DW and I bought (actually DW) went to Lowes during our remodel and bought Utilitech Pro hardwired under cabinet LED lights and now that we are at the final stage where the electrician comes back and finalizes (this is theoretical only) everything he cannot get the dimmer to dim the Utilitech LED lights.

When we were buying the lights we did realize that neither the package nor the specs on the packaging said a word about being dimmable or not being dimmable. Our electrician said that every time he has installed under cabinet LED lights they have been dimmable. So, we plunged ahead - aaaarghhh.

So, I googled and googled the topic and I did find a thread where someone said they couldn't get a dimmer to work with their Utilitech LEDs.

And, I can't find that they (utilitech) even have a website.

So, it looks like I will be returning them unless someone has another idea? We would keep them if they were in fact found to be dimmable. We do have the original packaging so there will not be a problem returning them other than our hassle of having the electrician come and uninstall them and then having to re-install them.

Is it possible there is a way to get a dimmer to work that our electrician hasn't thought of?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Utilitech Under Cabinet LED Lights Not Dimmable?!

This isn't really an answer, but I was just looking at those over the weekend, and I could SWEAR it said on the package or the display that they ere dimmable. Have you tried a different type of dimmer?

o

Hardwired dimmable LED strip lights will use ELV type dimmers. If the strips are not dimmable, no dimmer of any sort will work.

o

I don't know which model you have. The one that I was looking at online says that it is not dimmable. I looked under the specifications tab. Sorry!

o

We have these same fixtures (being installed today, which is why I turned this up while Googling an unrelated question). It's quite possible your dimmer switch is the culprit. It is my understanding that LED fixtures ARE dimmable, but require a special LED-compatible dimmer switch. Surprised your electrician did not raise this point.

I realize this info comes months too late, and maybe it wouldn't have been the answer anyway, but hopefully it helps someone else who stumbles upon this as I have.

o

Hrothgar, please let us know your results. A Lowes electric salesman told me two weeks ago that soon Utilitech LED dimmible light bars/strips with low profile (but no diffuser :( may be available online. However, each time I check I see only the non-dimmable strips. Utilitech LED bulbs are dimmable, but I hear there is a brief delay before "on".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here