Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
higher-wattage 3-inch halogen recessed lights

Posted by diymomof4 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 4, 10 at 19:54

I'm getting ready to put some recessed halogen lights into my kitchen (just starting a renovation). I like the 3-inch size, but after hooking up one 50-watt light, I'm not sure 50 watts is going to cut it. Can higher-wattage bulbs (75 or even 100) be used in a 50-watt fixture? Does anyone make 3-inch 100 watt halogen gimbals? I'm already planning on including under-cabinet lights as well, but want most of my lighting to come from these recessed lights. Thanks in advance for any guidance on this. I'm getting older and I want LOTS of light!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: higher-wattage 3-inch halogen recessed lights

For small diameter recessed lighting (3 3/4" or 4" diam.) the brightest lamp would be a low voltage 50 watt MR16 halogen lamp. A less bright lamp for these fixtures would be a line voltage 50 watt PAR 20 halogen.

If you use a lamp too large for the recessed fixture the fixture will shut off when it overheats and turn back on when it cools.

3 inch diam recessed fixtures are usually specification grade commercial fixtures and are more expensive but can use a 65 watt MR16 lamp if it doesn't need to be rated for insulation contact or air-tightness (under a roof or unheated attic).

o

the maximum wattage in a 3" can is 50 watts.
You can buy what is called 50 watt IR lamps from most good lamp manufacturers which will give you the lumen output of a 75 watt lamp.
Keep in mind that as we get older , we need more light to see with, but as we age, glare becomes very uncomfortable. A 3" gimbal produces the most uncomfortable glare of any recessed fixture.
Small is not always better ,and a trim that regresses the lamp back up into the housing is the best bet.

o

I installed 3" recessed cans into my master bathroom area 3 over the 6 ft vanity area, 2 in the shower area, plus 2 more in different spots. I love the light that the halogens put out. But If I were you I would go with a larger can. I have a small room 14' x 8 or so its a strange shape room plus I am going to install 2 wall sconces. But I have dark spots in the room that would drive me nuts in a kitchen. I don't think your going to be happy with the light level in your kitchen. If you don't want to see the cans choose a white trim. If you have already purchased these try and line them up in front of some focal point. Then add bigger ones for general lighting Mine are directional so I can tilt them a bit and bounce them off the wall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here