Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

Junction box for ceiling fan vs hanging fixture

patty_cakes
16 years ago

Is this a dumb question~would the same type of box be required for both? I'm not sure, but *think* more support is used around the mounting box for either? I need to know in advance since a few of the ceiling fixtures may be capped until I can find the appropriate fixture, and know they'll be heavy suckers! LOL

Comments (6)

• texasredhead
    16 years ago

An electric box in the ceiling can be used for any fixture mounted to the ceiling that requires an electric connection.

• catluvr
    16 years ago

Most plastic electrical J-boxes used for fixtures will hold up to 25 lbs. Metal ones hold more weight. If you have (or will get) a fixture over 25 lbs you'll need a metal box which is also mounted to something sturdy like a ceiling joist or wood blocking. Fan boxes are usually specifically for fans.

• texasredhead
    16 years ago

Not sure where you get the idea there is a special junction box for fans. A junction box is a junction box. To the OP, there was a serias a while back about how to support a very heavy chandelier. You might way to scan old posts.

• Jon1270
    16 years ago

The big-box stores in my area (Ohio) sell a selection of boxes explicitly designed for fans. They are similar in size and shape to the ones marketed for light fixtures, but they're not the same. The designs vary, but they all provide especially beefy ways of attaching the box to the joists. On the one I bought for my ceiling fan last summer, the tapped holes to receive the screws which attach the fan's mounting plate had something like a nut brazed to the far side of the usual bent-over sheet metal tab, providing 1/4" or so of threads and making stripping of those threads virtually impossible. It may be unnecessary to use one of these in most situations, but special fan j-boxes do exist.

• texasredhead
    16 years ago

We are electricians in Dallas. We do not install anything other than standard junction boxes for fans and lights.

• sniffdog
    16 years ago

patty cakes

Home Depot sells a junction box designed for ceiling fans. It has a metal L bracket that is riveted into thew top of the box and has 4 to 5 holes to screw the box to the side of the ceiling joists. The L bracket also has spikes that dig into the wood to provide extra strength.

I would recommend using these boxes for ceiling fans or moderately heavy fixtures.

Most fans weigh close to or more than 25 pounds. However, when they spin they put a lot more stress on the box holding it than the dead weight of the fixture. Regular j boxes for light weight ceiling fixtures have 2 nails holding them into the side of the joists - and these nails stick into the joist by maybe 1 inch or so. It is dangerous to hang a heavy fixture - or fan - on one of these boxes with just 2 nails holding them in place..

For heavy ceiling fixtures, they also make a special box that has 2 bolts the attach from the bottom of the box up into the joists. This type of box should be used for fixtures that weigh up to 80 pounds.

They make other boxes with brackets that bolt between joists four very heavy chandeliers that weigh more than 80 pounds if you have any of these.

iIt is true that electricians will typically install standard j boxes unless you spec otherwise. I would make sure that your electrician uses the proper rated box for the weight loads you are planning. The special boxes are inexpensive and worth the peace of mind that the fixtures won't fall out of the ceiling.