Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Motion sensor switch for my laundry room

Posted by nlion (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 19:26

I have a fluorescent ceiling light in my laundry room and it is controlled by two switches, one next to each door to the room. I want to put in a motion sensor switch so that the light comes on whenever we enter the room. Can someone tell me what switch to get? Is there one that is a 3-pole switch that will control a fluorescent fixture? I talked to someone at Leviton (who didn't seem that sharp)and he told me I'd need to replace both switches with motion sensor ones. I'm not sure that is necessary? If that is the case, I'll skip the project.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Motion sensor switch for my laundry room

The following works.
Leviton ACP15-CBW Acenti 1800W Incandescent, 1800VA Fluorescent, 1/2 HP, Adapted Manual-On PIR Occupancy Sensor, Single Pole or 3-Way, White

No, only one is needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fluorescent occupancy sensor

o

Thanks, David, for the response. In reading the description, I see it's a "manual on" switch, meaning you have to turn it on when you enter the room. We want an "auto on" switch, where it senses someone has entered the room and it turns the light on. Do you know of anything that fits the bill?

o

I've used the 16775 occupancy sensor which looks like the Accenti switch
http://www.sasanelectricals.com/ledewaswocse1.html

Or
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-ODS10-ID-Decora-Switch-Occupancy/dp/B0007N72P6

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here