Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? height of pendant above sink

Posted by lindiver (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 28, 10 at 19:24

Hi, We're finally getting ready to order lights for the new kitchen. I would like to hang a pendant above my sink, rather than use a recessed "can". Our ceilings are 8 feet, 3 inches. How high should my light be hung? Or put another way, including shades, how far down from the ceiling should it be?
Thanks! Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? height of pendant above sink

Notes:
Any words or phrases you don't understand then make them your KEYWORDS and then look them up.

LET US SEE WHAT KIND OF LIGHT YOU WANT:
If you have photos of what kind of light you want you can go to
Google Images and find images of what you are looking for. The
simply reply to us and mention the URL , address, of the
photo's address. By right clicking on the photo you can
usually copy and then paste it. I personally type all my correspondence into a separate letter that I save so that I
don't happen to lose something in case the page I'm on happens
to fail for some reason. Saving the backup page occasionally is
smart. I have one called MAIL.DOC, another POSTS.DOC, another, FRIENDS.DOC. Each then has text pertinent for each
use and it's unlikely that I will lose it or misplace it or
accidently close the page without it asking me if I was sure.
Be sure to save it. Plus you end up with a living history of
what you have written. This can be helpful later when looking
for things you want to share with others. I enter the date
along with what I type. This puts my thoughts into a time frame.
Thus if it was about 'last year' and I read what I was writing
'last year' I begin to remember what all went along with
thoughts during that time. Good luck.

SHARE YOUR PHOTOS
If you have photos you can easily put them online for us all to
see by simply going to

http://www.bild.me/

Once you upload it there.. BE SURE. to ave and remember the
name they give you as they'll rename it. Try it first
with photos as practice. IT works simply and simple is better.

You won't get another chance to find your photo. It's
odd .. don't know why it's like that. but it's free and
it works well.

Choose the selection at the bottom of the page. Why? It's the
simplest. Otherwise they use marketing information to help your
friends come back to the site and bring their friends and so
on.

At the bottom of the page there will be several choices for you to pick as to which is your photo. The best choice is the
last one.

In my case I took an image of me typing this page and posted it for you to see.

Look here for it:

http://s1.bild.me/bilder/012010/2236990clp11455.gif

All I did was clip a photo using PAINT of my screen , using
PRINT SCREEN, then Ctl-V to paste it to Paint, Once I had my
image I uploaded it for you to see how and that it works.

I'm sorry this is so long. Pass it on to friends or save it to repost another time when it fits the question better. Thanks

An easy rule for helping you think through things about light and the amount of energy you get on a surface is this:

Each time you move a light 1/2 the distance away or 1/2
the distance closer to your surface you'll get 4times or
1/4 the amount of light on that surface. Another way to
say the same thing is this:

Assume that 100 watts in a ceiling fluorescent fixture is enough light. It's about
5 feet from the work surface. Now move that light away by 5 feet and it's
only got the same power as a 25 watt bulb. Go from 5 feet to 2.5 feet and it's like having 400 watts of light on the surface. This could be a reason for looking for an
adjustable fixture that moves, slides, or rotates out of the
way.

Looking at things many different ways helps you to resolve problems that seem hard in the beginning.
Don't try too hard to understand. Give your brain a day or two to absorb what you picked up.

I can answer Q. here about anything related to light science but not so much about products available.
Sorry I'm not all that familiar with what's on the market.

PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT YOU COME UP WITH.
You'll put a lot of work into finding what you want. Share
that work with us and save a lot of time for others. I personally will save what work you do and will share it with others who have a need.

You NEED a certain amount of light for various tasks. I

look up this search to help you

light levels for task lighting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Task_lighting

Spend at least an hour understanding about how light levels affect performance and happiness and attitude.
It's not Fung Shway. It's a method developed about 1900 during factory development in the USA.

I don't know about dimmable fluorescent's and CRI index. If the quality changes, as it does when you dim
incandescent then you will want to know how the CRI quality affects you. IF you CAN dim your light without
affecting the quality then you're gaining something. Make sure you can dim from 'mood' lighting.. about 2 candles
are mood lighting up and past the normal level you would use. Don't pay extra for presettable features.
A simple fluorescent dimmer is good enough.

Check Amazon for deals on lighting. I often see things there for 1/10ths the price I Can buy elsewhere. You have
to check daily especially if you find something you want and like. It can drop for 2 days then go back up to
regular price. It pays for be insistent.

Light should be pretty. If I use 100 watts of light but I focus it then it will appear bright on the
surface it's pointed at. IT will be bright. But will it be workable? No.

You'll have glare ( this is where bright spots appear close by dark spots)

The quality of light is important. CRI is the quality of light compared to Sunlight. The Sun = 100 and assumes
that it's a good quality of light. Yellow bug lights are about 20 and are poor for anything that people do.

Mercury lamps , for outdoor lighting, are about 80 and are just at the edge of a quality that is useful.
I would avoid them.

Halogen, Tungsten, .. the kind with a tiny capsule and run off of 12 volts, or 120 volts , or even the kind used
in most cars as headlights (not the bluish colors) are halogen lamps. They are made and work just like regular
incandescent bulbs but burn hotter are more efficient and give better quality light.. 100 on the CRI scale.

The best choice between value and quality is , for a room, fluorescent lamps tubes . Not screw in lamps, nor LEDS,
nor anything sold as a special better quality fluorescent lamp. Those companies cater to your emotional pocketbook.

A good lamp bulb by GE, or FEIT, or any major brand is a fine choice for a room light. As your needs are not
so great that you can get away with a smaller lamp size you will have to begin the arduous task of matching
the quality of light to the styles of lamps available.

Wikipedia is a start to get an education.

In my opinion you should avoid LED lights for now. In a few years they will be of higher quality and lower
price so they make sense to buy. But not now in 2010.

You'll be surprised at what's the cheapest cost to run also. Fluorescent 40watt bulbs are the cheapest for home.

best full range room lighting

If you are working with color, that includes food, then bring samples of food to view under the lamps that you
have a choice to use. You should want to use a CRI of 100 always but variances and your eye can cause you to
prefer one lamp over another and maybe find one cheaper than another.

Here's a few sites to look into.

Let me say .. the importance of choosing the right light source for its color must be made with good advice.
Bad color lighting will cause you to feel ill, cause your food to appear unappealing, and even cause guests
to find your home a sad place to visit.

Finding the right 'can' to fit your ceiling should come secondarily to finding the right quality of light.

That's my opinion and I believe you're feeding your ignorance if you listen to other counsel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here