Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grannysmith18

Cement ceiling & elec source in the wrong place

grannysmith18
13 years ago

My NYC apartment has cement walls and ceilings, so there is no possibility of running wires behind the walls (or the ceiling). I also don't want to drop the ceiling using sheetrock because it would mean doing it over a very large open area that includes the living room and foyer, and I don't want the resulting low ceiling.

There is wiring for an overhead fixture in the dining area, but it's at least 5 feet from the spot where I need it to be over the center of the table.

I'd like to get a modern chrome or stainless fixture. I also don't want to run a covered wire along the ceiling over to the spot where I want the light to be; I think it looks sort of tacky. Is there some sort of articulating arm that is meant for this purpose that would go slightly down and across, and I'd hang the chandelier from it and place it where I want. It would have to be very strong. It'd look sort of funky, but I don't mind that.

Any suggestions? Any other lighting possibilities? I'd like to add that I need a lot of light there. I'd want at least 300 watts.