Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novacat_2010

technical help replacing recessed lighting

novacat_2010
11 years ago

i am replacing 2 recessed ceiling lights because one of them didnt work at all and the other one would blow the bulb after about 2 weeks. my son took out the guts and i thought it would be fairly easy to repair whatever was wrong with the electrical and replace with new ones. the ones i had were the eyeball type. the rough openings in the ceiling measures 6 1/2". i am left with the electrical wires capped and dangling from the 6 1/2" holes. i would love to have the recessed lighting with the satin nickel baffles. after scouring lighting sites, it looks like the ones i want measures 6" ( and smaller) my question is would the "trim" around the rough opening (once installed) cover up the excess diameter? i really dont want to get into sheetrock work.

Comments (6)

• mm11
    11 years ago

Look at the finished dimensions for the trim that you like. It should have a dimensions for the rough opening and also the diameter of the trim (outside to outside). Usually there's about 1/2' or so of lip on each side of the trim. Here's a link for a trim I found with 7 3/4" diameter, which leaves plenty of slop when installing the housing.

Here is a link that might be useful: 6

This post was edited by mm11 on Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 14:17

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

You also are very likely to need 'remodel' fixtures instead of 'new work' fixtures.

Remodel fixtures are designed to be installed through the rough opening, unlike 'new work' fixtures.

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

so i buy the housing and trim separately, got it. so now i'm comparing the depth of the remodel housings i see online to the can (housing) that i kept from the old one. this old one measures 5 3/4" in depth (and 6 1/2 in diameter)...now what? i guess i should mention that i have these lights on a sloped ceiling. when they were installed (1986) it was new construction. but i didnt think to mention about the slope because this can and the old trim (eyeball) didn't look like the ones i see online for sloped ceilings, like an angle cut... the one that i took out were just a regular can shape. i did learn from my searches that i would need a gimbal lamp so i could direct the light straight down, right? so sorry for being sooo uneducated about this whole thing and thank you so much for your responses.

• David
    11 years ago

It is not necessary to use a gimbal fitting to direct the light straight down.

For example
    Halo H47ICAT 6-Inch Housing for Sloped Ceilings (not remodel housings)
    http://www.munroelectric.com/catalog/halo/h47icat.html

Remodel housings are typically used with horizontal ceilings since the housings need to clip onto the ceiling board in a way that does not put undue pressure on one point and possibly break it.

• David
    11 years ago

Assuming that only the guts were removed (unscrewed), the basic can should still be in place. Check the wiring to ensure that it is working fine/ track down the issue first.

There are kits available to convert cans into pendants, for example
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_150428-56102-PAN-4100L_0__?productId=3772617&Ntt=pendant+conversion+kit&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dpendant%2Bconversion%2Bkit&facetInfo=

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

whew! project done. not much of a project after all. i wound up with shallow housing and the satin nickel eyeball. thanks to all for your help