Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Looking for a covered toggle style switch cover

Posted by paulfielding (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 18:16

I'm looking for a light switchplate (preferably 2 gang, but I'll take what I can get) that can either cover two existing light switches or replace the switches (easily). It's for a friend with two switches low on his kitchen bar wall - people are always accidentally hitting it with their hip and turning off the lights. I thought it would be fun to find him something along the lines of a red missile toggle switch (with cover), so he can literally lift the cover and hit the switch to turn the lights on or off, allowing the cover to protect from accidental bumping.

I was surprised that something like this is harder to find than I thought it would be. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look? Many thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Looking for a covered toggle style switch cover

In my shop, a few switches which need to be ON most of the time have a two-hole strap mounted over the switch toggle with the plate mounting screws (longer ones). Would not look so great in the kitchen- but some matching nail polish might help. A finger from the side operates the switch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strap

RE: Looking for a covered toggle style switch cover

Do you mean something like the following?

Here is a link that might be useful: wall switch cover

RE: Looking for a covered toggle style switch cover

That does look tempting. It looks like it might be a little difficult to casually open for flipping the switch, but indeed I might look at it more closely. Thanks...

RE: Looking for a covered toggle style switch cover

I have a use for a device that would make you think twice before throwing a switch rather than preventing it. The strap link makes me think that there is probably a simple, inexpensive way to do it, but more sightly than a galvanized metal loop. Maybe find some plastic of a nice color that can be made into a loop and slip it under the screws.

I did just find some commercial alternatives:

Not absolutely clear if this is a lock out or meant to slow down, but appears to be the latter:

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here