Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feedback on kitchen recessed lighting layout

Posted by jacob-md (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 17:21

1951 split-level house in MD, small 8x12 kitchen. The current lighting is a 1990-vintage track with large transformers to feed 12V spotlights; my DS really dislikes track lighting. I have a couple different types of undercabinet lighting - some adhesive LED strips, a small tube fluorescent over the sink, and a large CFL in the stove hood.

There are cabinets on both sides of the room, and a soffit above the cabinets.

Thinking of switching to the Home Depot CR6 6" LED can inserts. By the math, 7 or 8 of these give me 35 lumens in the space. 3500K would be nice, but I don't want to pay the premium for the Cree-branded CR6s. Considering the Home Depot 5000K CR6 as one option.

I played with one of the 2700K Home Depot CR6 lights in a handheld socket - just one doesn't seem that bright, but I'm assuming this would be better with 7 of them.

I do have attic access to use new construction cans, but there's a joist right over the front edge of the counters - joist spacing is the dotted lines in my drawing. The roof slopes down to the right in the picture, so I probably can't get a can any closer than 3' to the right wall.

DS would probably be happy with a modern fluorescent fixture in the center of the ceiling and better under-cabinet lighting.

Thoughts, particularly on layout or other options?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feedback on kitchen recessed lighting layout

Have you looked at the LED recessed lighting discussion thread? There is a lot of information in there.

It would be a better idea to use UCL from the same manufacturer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recessed lighting guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here