Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rowansmom_1029

looking for a CORDLESS table lamp that isn't ugly

rowansmom_1029
17 years ago

Hello,

I would love to have a cordless table lamp, and the ones I have seen online are very modernistic and funky. Fine, but not good for my country/traditional home.

And, are cordless lamps really expensive...is this a really bad idea? The configuration of my livingroom is what is driving my interest in the cordless lamp. I don't want to add an outlet on the floor, either.

Any leads? Thanks!

Comments (11)

• Jon1270
    17 years ago

You mean you want a battery-powered lamp? It would go through a lot of batteries if you used it much.

• DavidR
    17 years ago

Most of them are dime store junk, just cheap plastic flashlights really. Dim, too.

Lighting with disposable batteries is generally pretty impractical anyway.

I suppose you could rig something up with a small 12 volt gel battery hidden under the table and a 12 volt compact fluorescent (available from solar energy specialty vendors) in the lamp. Of course you'd have to charge the battery every couple of days. Actually, nickel cadmium or nickel metal hydride batteries would be more practical, because lead batteries tend to deteriorate if not kept fully charged.

This could get expensive in a hurry.

• prodmod
    16 years ago

You could probably have someone make this for you.

But you'll have to describe what performance you'd like to get from the light.
    Mainly:
    How bright does it have to be? Use standard incandescent lamps for comparison like 20 watt or 40 watt etc.
    Does it need to be portable or can you leave it in one place?
    If it is portable how long would you like the light to last before it needs recharging?

if you answer this we can probably figure it out on this forum and it should not be expensive.

• hokie98
    15 years ago

Hi Rowansmom - did you have any luck, or find something that worked for you? I'm in the same predicament.

• Carrie123
    12 years ago

Beautiful and truly cordless table lamps! by Modern Lantern. We are a premiere online retailer for cordless, rechargeable lamps.
    Our patent pending lamps operate off a lithium ion battery and a warm led bulb and fully charged they last approximately 15 hours. We have six different styles to choose from to coordinate with a variety of lifestyles for the home, and the best part is they can be positioned anywhere! Please check them out and let us know your thoughts and help spread the word, we are brand new to the marketplace and could use some exposure. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Lantern - Cordless Table Lamps

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

A rather shameless plug, but nothing about actual light output.

Honey, did you remember to charge the light?

• Carrie123
    12 years ago

It is shameless, I admit. We are pretty proud of our problem solving invention and marketing and trying hard to network our new business.
    We have a lot of detail on the site, in short it is about the equivalent of a 30 watt incandescent bulb, nice warm ambient LED light, not super bright but a balance to have the performance last 14+ hours on a single charge. Thanks for looking! and if you didn't remember to charge the light, just get an extra battery ready to go:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Lantern - Cordless Table Lamps

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"We are pretty proud of our problem solving invention and marketing and trying hard to network our new business. "

You might read the terms of this site that you agreed to.

• maxwell1304
    11 years ago

Hi everyone, I have just got back from my friends house and they had these really attractive cordless table lights. I have never seen anything like these before! They are remote controlled, cordless (obviously), if I can remember they have 16 different LED colours to choose from, and each one is beautiful! I'm going to buy mine today!! :) I believe the company who sell them are called Insight Cordless Lighting. I have attached the URL to their site for you all to see.

Here is a link that might be useful: Insight Cordless Lighting - Cordless Table Lamps

This post was edited by Maxwell1304 on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 8:11

• johncoop_cooper
    6 years ago

Hi,I bought a couple of lamps from Dovenden in the UK recently.

www dovenden.com

The ones I bought are the "compact"

models.They have a good solid feel to them, difficult to tip over and the battery indicator meter underneath is very handy.They have 4 brightness levels.