Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msbrandywinevalley

(How) Can I correct my kitchen lighting?

My kitchen and an adjacent sitting area were renovated a few months ago. The primary lighting for the space is from 15 recessed flood lights; the kitchen design did not lend itself to pendant lighting and the only other light is from four halogen bulbs in the exhaust hood over the cooktop. The bulbs in the recessed fixtures are Philips Lighting EL/A R30 EDIM 16W 16 Watt R30 2700K CFL. While I feel there's enough light, I'm really not happy with the color of the light, which appears yellow to me. My walls are a grayish taupe and the lighting really throws the wall color off.

These bulbs were fairly pricey -- a Google search shows them at nearly $30/bulb -- so I'm reluctant to simply replace them, but if that's the only solution, that's what I'd do. I was wondering if adding incandescent lighting might help -- a floor lamp or table lamps in the sitting area, for example.

I'm really baffled by the choices in light bulbs these days. I know the K value is important, but I have no idea what K value will give me the most natural-looking light. Can anyone offer me some light bulb/lighting guidance? Thanks!

Comments (3)