Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_2008

Can I use a "Power Pack" Transformer in this Situation?

Laurie
11 years ago

I purchased two Woodcliffe Lanterns (8353-AB-LT3-CLR) to install atop exterior pilasters. Each lantern has three 60-watt candelabra light sockets.

Instead of installing these lanterns using 120 Volt line voltage, can I install them as a DIY project these using a dual 600 Watt (2 x 300 Watts) landscape lighting "power pack" (transformer) to reduce the voltage output to 12 or 14 Volts with 300 Watts supply going towards each lantern? Each 300W supply has two voltage taps marked low/high for 12 or 14 volt output. Each lantern requires 180 Watts total (3 x 60 Watt bulbs). I understand that the transformer must be installed outdoors (no indoor or garage installation is allowed and it must be installed on a GFCI plug.

Each of my two pilaster lights is located 20 feet away from the transformer. I'll need one 12 gauge (12-2) wire run off each 12 Volt supply from the transformer to each lantern and wires running thru a single 3/4" schedule 40 PVC pipe from transformer under a brick paved area to the lights.