Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisafromla

Housing recommendation for CR4-575L-GU24

LisafromLA
11 years ago

We are doing a NEW BUILD and planning to use the CREE ( HD brand = Ecosmart) CR4 GU24 LEDs. Live in California and therefore need to adhere to Title 24 requirements.

I am looking for a recommendation for a housing for these LEDs that support a GU 24 connectors - ideally something with adjustable height and easy to screw in.

While CREE website had a list of compatible housings, most of them require either altering the connector to a vendor specific connector ( eg HALO) or support only edison type connectors. Spent an hour with Cree customer support - not much help.

Anyone successfully installed and passed the Title 24 requirement ? I

Comments (4)

• David
    11 years ago

The gu24 and e26 Cree lamps need to have the connector loose in the can. The gu24 Cree lamps should come with a pigtail connector which is spliced to the wires after the original connector is removed.

• attofarad
    11 years ago

Just to expand a bit on what David said:

First, the CR4/CR6 grab the can directly, so "adjustable" would probably not let you adjust anything useful.

You want the socket to be on a bit of wire. For instance, IIRC, the Nora 4" GU24 can has the socket attached permanently to the top of the can, which makes it difficult to attach the CR4 pigtail GU24 connector unless you have small hands. If the CR4 pigtail were 1" longer it would be easier; 1" shorter and it would be impossible.

Other cans have the socket on a bracket, meant to adjust the light position up and down. This means that there is some loose wire between the socket and the can. The CR4 grabs the can directly, so you remove the bracket and pop the socket loose from the bracket -- just let it dangle from the wires. I have 43 brackets in a box.

The GU24 version of the CR4 and CR6 comes with a GU24 socket with about 5" of wire and some connectors. This is so that you can cut off an Edison (screw in) socket, and permanently transform a screw-in can to a GU24 type. Cans with Edison sockets are usually cheaper (maybe by $5 or so) than GU24 cans. The difference in price wasn't worth the bother of spicing on the GU24 socket, so I just bought the GU24 cans.

Of some interest is that a GU24 CFL in a recessed can does not meet the Title 24 criteria for "high efficacy." (At least as of a year ago).

• orangerhymes
    11 years ago

For new construction, use the Liton LH99ICA-LLF-GU24 recessed can.

It has the GU24 connector on the pigtail. The pigtail is long enough to make it easy to install. You don't have to unscrew or disassemble anything. It is practically plug and play.

For remodels, use the Liton LH99RICA-LLF-GU24. It is probably the only ICAT rated remodel can with a GU24 connector.

• calumin
    10 years ago

QuitePossibly -- that is really helpful. I think you may be right -- all the listed compatible housings on the Cree site and at most online lighting stores are either not remodel or not GU24.