Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skidkid

Help with Kitchen lighting layout

skidkid
10 years ago

I need some help on my kitchen lighting. I am installing 4" recessed cans and running the new Cree CR4-575 (the 90+ cri version). I have under cabinet lighting.

The attached image is pretty close to what is there. The cabinets are custom so standard cabinets aren't exactly correct but it is very close to correct dimensions.

I purchased some lights so I could hold them up and see how light falls. I did that and decided that I needed the extra light over the peninsula so I put 3 cans there (approx 30" apart). That is my primary work surface.

The cabinet down by the pocket door is a floor to ceiling pantry so the light down there is needed.

The stove has a large ModernAire hood with roof mounted blower (Thank you guys for that hint). It has halogen lighting and would obstruct any lights very close to the range so I skipped placing them there.

The part I can't decide is the labels L-a vs L-b. IF the light is at L-b it falls in line with the others and has equal spacing to the peninsula. BUT working at the counter where L-a is shown you would shadow yourself. If I place the light at L-a it breaks up the patterns and I am concerned that it would look out of place.

Also, label L-c is still up in the air. It may well not be needed.

Second part I am not 100% on is lighting over the sink. Should I put 2, one on each side as shown, and skip the over sink light? Or should I put an over sink light and potentially skip the others. This again creates an issue relative to uniform placement.

I am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)