Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best placement for kitchen recessed lighting

Posted by transitional (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 22, 10 at 13:18

The next step in our kitchen remodel is to determine where to place the recessed lighting. We have already decided to do under and over the cabinet lighting but we still need general lighting in the room and that will be the purpose of the recessed lights. We have a vaulted ceiling with a skylight so that makes it all the more interesting. Please let me know what your opinion is of my sketch and if I could get away with less lighting or if I need more.

kitchen,remodel,lighting,recessed,can lights

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best placement for kitchen recessed lighting

After some discussion, I made some changes to the plan, any suggestions?

o

final update, we haven't hung the drywall yet so still time for some suggestions please.

o

The two cans over the pantries shouldn't be over the cabinets.

o

hi dim4fun, the ceiling height above the pantries goes from about 11ft to 14ft because of the sloped ceiling. does that make a difference? we're going to install an eyeball trim kit as well. thanks for your help!

o

How far out should we move the cans above the pantries?

o

Slope ceiling cans are much nicer looking than eyeballs.

You need to move the cans back far enough for them to get some light into the pantries yet stay within the beam angle of the lamps at your varying ceiling height. Typically this would be 24 - 30" with 8' ceiling using wide flood lamps and further back with 12' ceiling. You should experiment to be sure of your decision for your chosen fixtures, trims and lamps. Have the electrician put a cord on a fixture and tack it up.

o

Have you visited the kitchen forum? You may want to do that before you decide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home page for forums

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here