Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clayman28_gw

MR16 halogen vs 3- or 4-inch LED, energy savings not a factor?

ClayMan28
11 years ago

I am remodeling a 1000 sq.ft. condo (8-ft ceilings) and plan to use some recessed lighting. The unusual factor is that electricity is included in my management fees so I wouldn't realize any of the long-term LED energy savings.

I am aware that the EcoSmart CR4 LED seems to be all the rage here, but couldn't find them in Home Depot (Canada). Instead I came home from Home Depot with a couple things to try:
-$40 Commercial Electric 4-inch retrofit LED (561 lumens, 3000K, 11.3W, 83 CRI)
-$50 HALO 4-inch retrofit LED (637 lumens, 3019K, 13.7W, 83 CRI)
-$40 Commercial Electric 3-inch LED kit, includes housing! (465 lumens, 3000K, 7.7W, 83 CRI)

How come nobody talks about the latter kit, it seems like a great deal? The only downside is that the trim is not the prettiest, with 3 gaps around the rim of the recessed area. (google homedepot.ca to see them)

After trying all of them, I still feel like smaller aperture of the low-voltage halogen MR16s look better, both on and off. I'm aware they put out less light, so I'd need more of them (correct?). But am I correct that they currently cost a lot less per unit than the LED options? My logic is that the halogen MR16s look better and are cheaper now so I can afford to wait until MR16 LED retrofits improve and come down in price further.

If you didn't have to pay for electricity or adhere to T24, would you do the same?

Comments (6)