Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Long extension outdoor wall fixtures

Posted by chairthrower (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 11, 09 at 11:27

Our front door has no porch or overhang, and a single wall mount fixture centered above the door. It's a standard Early American style lantern, with about an 8 or 9 inch extension from the wall. Problem is the flashing and door trim extends about 7 or 8 inches from the wall, and the light illuminates everything but the front door and landing at night (it's hilarious when you look at it from the street--it's precisely just the front door that's in shadow).

We're looking for a way to have a wall-mounted light that shines down on the landing and illuminates the step and front door. One thing we had thought of was an old streetlamp that could be wall mounted or something like it. Another option would be a hanging fixture where the chain could be hung from a bracket that we could attach to the wall above the door. Or more simply a wall-mount lantern that has a 15 or 16" extension that would clear the door flashing and light the front door--but it can't be too big (under 18" in height, say) because it would look too big for the scale of the house. I haven't found a source for any of this online (well, I can find hanging fixtures, but no wall-mount brackets).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Long extension outdoor wall fixtures

You could consider something like this Outdoor Light.

o
RE: Long extension outdoor wall fixtures

It might work but I'm pretty sure it would hit the flashing over the door. We really need something that has 8-10" of extension before the fixture even starts. Something hanging from a bracket. This one has some extension out from the wall, so it's a possibility. I'd need more specific measurements. I'm also worried the wall plate wouldn't fit in the space between the top of the door flashing and the fixture.

I have a vision of what such a light would look like, but I have yet to find anything like it online.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here