Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Color Temp for Kitchen

Posted by JMNorse (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 11:19

How do people feel about the color temperature of recessed task lighting for a kitchen? I'm going to have medium-stained cabinets and will use 4" recessed LEDs. I have two options in my price range: EcoStar and Commercial Electric.

The EcoStar (Cree CR4) puts out a nice 575 Lumens, but is 2700K color temp (soft white like incadescent lights in a bedroom).

The Commercial Electric only puts out 400 Lumens, but is 3000K temp. I think the 3000K is a bright white and is closer to what I thought was typically used.

Essentially this boils down to is 2700K ok for kitchen task lighting? If so, it reduces how many lights I need by 33%...

Justin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Color Temp for Kitchen

Is it a 'working kitchen' or a 'relaxing' kitchen?

o

General home lighting has a 2700k color.

The commercial electric lights do not perform as well as the cree lights.

If the kitchen gets used for food preparation, having more light is better.

To that end, people will have more than 1 source of lights - recessed cans, UCL, ...

o

I guess it's more of a relaxing kitchen? It's part of a great room with the living and dining rooms. Since they're 2700K, davidtay's advice about using 2700K is probably the way to go. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here