Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elise325

big kitchen, low ceilings-- will glimpse lights work?

elise325
11 years ago

Hi all,
I've read most if not all of the LED in the kitchen posts and there is a lot of useful information. However, I am a complete lighting/renovation newbie and we also have extra low ceilings, so I wanted to post my initial plan and get some feedback.

Right now, there is one chandelier and one 5 inch square light for a 14'6"x21'7" kitchen. We have 2 different ceiling heights and there is an unfinished, barely insulated attic over the kitchen.

The main work area is 9'1" x14'6" and there is a 3 foot window in this area over the sink. The ceiling is 6'7" tall.

So it sounds like I need 4620 lumens for this area. There will also be under counter lights and range hood light on 2 walls.

So if I'm calculating correctly, that's 10 4inch glimpse units or 6 5inch glimpse units. Can you tell me if one is recommended over the other for this situation?

Then the eating area has a 7'1" ceiling, with one 4'x31" window and another 3'x5'tall window, there is also a window in the back door. It currently only has a small chandelier over the table area.

My calculations are for 6370 lumens in this area, which means 14 4inch or 8 to 9 5inch glimpse units. Again, is one size preferred over the other?

This area will also serve as a play area for my toddler, and we will likely put in a chandelier over the table.

Thanks so much for your help on this.

Elise

Comment (1)