Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscape LIghting Brands

Posted by crabapplemcn (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 29, 09 at 10:04

I wanted to do some low voltage path/flood lights outside my house and wanted some advice on good brands or online sources for good metal lights. I don't want really expensive ones but a step above Malibu/Big Box store kits. I am particularly looking for some well lights for around a patio also. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscape LIghting Brands

In May 2003, I installed a system. At that time, I thoroughly researched online sites.

The one I used is at www.landscape-lighting.net

I bought their 300W transformer and their F7150 (x9) lights.

The only complaint I have is that the metal light screws into a plastic stick thingey that goes into the ground. The plastic, although decent for the style, is what gives if you "bump" into the light. I have some lights in my yard, next to boulders, and the kids/DH aren't as careful as I'd like around the lights. The glass cover has a really nice, tight fit.

Last fall, i bought 10K hour rated ushio bulbs and they have all failed, after 1500 hours. Very frustrating. For years I used the 5K hour ushio bulbs and they last at least 5K hours, over a year of full night illumination. Stupid of me to expect the 10K hour bulbs to last twice as long as the 5K!! Stick with the 5K hour bulbs - Superline from ushio IMO.

o
RE: Landscape LIghting Brands

Volt makes some of the most economical professional grade low voltage landscape light fixtures (brass, copper, aluminum).

Re: Ushio bulbs--they are among the most respected, trusted brand that is used mainly by highend professionals. Very unusual. Not doubting you, however would like to point out lots of things can cause premature bulb burnout-- over volted fixtures or the 'cascading effect'.

Overvolted--even 1 volt more than 12 volts will cut the lifespan by about 30%.

Cascading Effect--With low voltage, when one bulb goes out the other fixtures on the same run will now have a higher voltage (due to less draw on the circuit) causing the rest to burn out quicker. If you let 2 or more bulbs on the same run burnout without replacing them quickly, the rest of the bulbs quickly burnout due to this 'cascading effect'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Examples of Volt fixtures

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here