Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emcsq_gw

Please help with our lighting plan!

emcsq
11 years ago

We are starting to remodel our kitchen, and we would love help with our lighting plan. We will have a U-shaped kitchen with the peninsula extending into a 36" x 72" counter-height table. The plan below shows proposed locations for 4" 550-lumen recessed lights (blue circles) and three mini-pendants (LED 800-lumens each) over the peninsula. Please note that this layout was used for countertop quotes, so you needn't pay too much attention to these dimensions. The recessed lights are on an approximate grid with 3' spacing (based on our 8' ceiling height).

I'm also uploading a sketch-up view of our kitchen. In the lighting plan, the top row of recessed lights will be about 12" off the wall with the pantries and refrigerator.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. We would specifically like to know (a) is the light next to the corner cabinet too close to it? (b) will we have enough light over the sink? and (c) is this the best way to light the peninsula?

We will also have undercabinet lights.

Comments (5)

• emcsq
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is view into the kitchen from the family room.

• corgimum
    11 years ago

I would definitely center a light over the sink and move the recessed lighting over the peninsula to light the countertop, not the edge of the counter. I would also center the light over the counter to the right of the stove.

You seem to be lighting your kitchen very grid-like. Instead, try to light it to make the best light plan for your space.

• emcsq
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You are correct that we started with a grid, mostly because we didn't know where to start. We both tend to think "linearly," and I confess that I have a hard time with asymmetry.

Based on your suggestions, we did make some changes. The biggest change was to add a mini pendant over the sink, which was an idea I had been contemplating for a couple of weeks. I did find some pictures on houzz, and both of us like that look.

The peninsula/table is still challenging. We prefer the look of 3 pendants over a single chandalier, but we are worried that the area is too large (approximately 5' x 6') to rely on pendants and recessed lighting. The latest version of the plan moves the pendants over the eating area and uses recessed lights over the peninsula/prep area. This makes a certain amount of sense, but I am having a hard time letting go of the idea that pendants should be over the peninsula/prep area.

Please keep the advice coming!

This post was edited by emcsq on Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 14:16

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

You've got a lot of light there - I wouldn't add more. You could put the one recessed light directly over the dink (and eliminate the mini pendant, which won't give off much light anyway). over the peninsula - why not do 2 large hanging fixtures (like 12" or so, taking 2 60 watt bulbs each) instead of 3 pendants to anchor that area?

Here's a pic of my space - I too have 4" cans, under cab lights - it's a LOT of light but everything is on dimmers, which I love.

• emcsq
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thought about doing a single, larger fixture over the peninsula/table, though I admittedly didn't think about two. But I think we are fairly set on pendants. We haven't seen any larger fixtures that jumped out at us. I also like the idea of being able to change out the shades to create a different look down the line. Of course, I will definitely keep my eyes open for a larger option that works for our budget and aesthetics.

Btw, phylhl, can I ask about the color of your granite? It looks a lot like the one that we are leaning toward (Giallo Ornamental). Your island is beautiful!

This post was edited by emcsq on Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 18:11