Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randall_n

Pre-wire for undercabinet lights

randall_n
12 years ago

We're building a new house and the under-cabinet lights offered by the builder look pretty awful to me (GM LumenTask -- very bulky and would require a valence or something to hide them). This is a production builder who doesn't usually do a lot of customization and I'm already asking quite a bit of him, so I'm not going to ask for different lights. However, I would like to ask him to pre-wire to make it easier for me to install my own lights later.

It looks like the Philips eW Profile Powercore lights are well-regarded by some folks here, so that's what I'm currently thinking. (Other suggestions would be welcome, but I want to stick with LEDs and ideally I want them dimmable.) These are line-voltage lights, and for permanent wiring they offer a little junction box with a standard 1/2" knockout. I think it's meant to mount on the underside of the cabinet. So my question is -- is there any way the electrician can just leave a wire hanging there for me, wired to a wall switch, and still pass inspection? Should I tell him to just screw a normal junction box to the underside of the cabinet, which I'll later remove and replace with the Philips box? Should I have him wire it into a cabinet and then I'd drill through the bottom to get the wires to the lights? Should I just have him wire to the wall switch and no further, and then fish the wire from there myself later? (The obvious alternative -- just plug the lights into a normal outlet -- is not appealing to me for aesthetic reasons, though that is my fallback plan.)

I only want to send this request to the electrician (via the builder) once, so I'd like to ask for something that's possible to do, easy to communicate, and preferrably doesn't make me sound like an idiot. Any assistance in that regard is sorely needed!

Comments (2)