Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Kitchen Lighting Assistance

Posted by frink1234 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 8:45

I have fluorescent lighting installed in the soffit that lines the perimeter around my kitchen. It uses some 9 foot and also some 4 foot tubes with an ugly plexiglass diffuser. I have some hanging lighting over an island and a kitchen table that provides other lighting, but the perimeter lighting is the brightest. (Picture shown is dark becomes some of the bulbs are out). I am thinking of using sheet rock to close in the soffit and then install recessed lighting in the soffit. Does this sound like a good idea? What size recessed should I use and how far apart should I space them? Should I use LED recessed? Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Kitchen Lighting Assistance

you might get more responses by posting in the kitchen section. my situation was very similar to yours. I used WAC low voltage 3" recessed lights with stainless trim and blue glass trim. I would have used the blue glass trim on all of them, but there was not enough clearance to open the cabinet doors. that is something to keep in mind when choosing your trim.
I really like them, but there may be better options now. I remodeled 6 years ago. If I was doing it now, I would probably use led.
my lights are 46" above the counter. the distance between the lights varies between 23" and 32"". I placed one above the sink, two on the peninsula and fit the other three in for good coverage.
I have a pendant and also under cabinet lights.

my photo looks darker than it really is. I'm not a good photographer.

Here is a link that might be useful: wac recessed

This post was edited by jules8 on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 8:14

o

Thanks for your response and the picture. I really like the stainless trim, it goes well with your appliances. I have white appliances so will probably just go with white trim. Thanks again!

o

Possible options
1. Fix the fluorescent lighting + the covering.
2. LED panel lighting could be substituted in place of the fluorescent lighting.
3. Linear recessed lighting. for example the Jake linear recessed lighting
http://www.prlog.org/11834903-birchwood-lighting-introduces-jake-recessed-linear-lighting-fixture.html
Or the
MarkLighting linear recessed lighting.
http://www.marklighting.com/Home.aspx
There are other vendors ...
4. 4" recessed lighting or smaller (2" - 3"). The CR4 4" is cheaper than either the 2" or 3" recessed lights. Besides WAC, there's twice bright and others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here