Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
60 watt bulbs in a ceiling fan rated for 40 watt

Posted by mashmasher (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 1, 10 at 1:26

I have a ceiling fan that is pretty new and the 40 watt bulbs don't provide enough light for the room, how bad is it to swap the lights with 60 watt bulbs? What about the light difference between the white bulbs with clear bulbs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 60 watt bulbs in a ceiling fan rated for 40 watt

I sure wouldn't do it. A larger bulb will overheat the fixture wiring causing the insulation to become brittle. Could lead to a short and fire. You could try a spiral fluorescent bulb for more light. A "100 watt equivilent" cfl uses about 23 watts, just be aware of their larger phyical size may not fit in the fixture.

o
RE: 60 watt bulbs in a ceiling fan rated for 40 watt

Using another type of lamp is not always a good idea because the rating limit is intended to prevent excessive heat build up and a "retrofit" CFL with an integral ballast in the base can overheat in an enclosure. If you remove the enclosure you might be able to use 50w. PAR 20 halogen lamps.

In general, I recommend using another location for lighting because such lights usually shine in your eyes especially if they are not frosted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here