Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clustering swag lamps- how to deal with multiple cords?

Posted by danielahi (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 29, 11 at 1:10

Hi there!

I have 3 identical swag lamps that I would like to hang at varying lengths, as a cluster. They have a bamboo "cage" around an off-white canvas cylinder.

In any case. How does one hang multiple swag lamps together and accommodate all those cords and switches? I'm sure I would need one hook above each lamp, but then how do I deal with the rest of the cord- do I bunch them together before running them down to a power strip and just turn them all on individually? It just seems like no matter what, it is going to look tacky with all those cords running on the wall.

How do people do this? I know I've seen it done before...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clustering swag lamps- how to deal with multiple cords?

Maybe some cable wrap or split loom would help.

http://cableorganizer.com/woven-wrap/

http://cableorganizer.com/wire-loom/colored.html

This is not an endorsement of or recommendation for that particular vendor. I've never used them. That's just what came up when I searched for "wire loom."

If you're looking for something to encase the wires going down a wall, you might try this:

http://tools.wiremold.com/diy/products/cordmate.asp

I've used that stuff to cover and route speaker wires.

o

Thanks for the recommendations- the third one may work!

o

You can also make a box that holds as many receptacles as needed with a cord to plug in and a switch to turn the lights on.

A metal box should be used, but you can the hide the metal under wood to make it less conspicuous.

Switches available include push buttons (some can control multiple lights with multiple pushes of the same button) or a separate button for each light and another to turn them all on at once.

You are pretty much limited only by your knowledge of how to wire them up and how much time & money you want to invest.

o

If you are talking about down a wall, bring them together then cover with a hallow molding, paint or stain same as the wall for a nice neat, clean look..
this is one dh did in our media room corner, if you can bring to a corner all the better..we have a cabinet below so they are not seen at all, he used cove molding here, glue in place.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here