Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help choose LED cans for new build... prices?

Posted by Momto3kiddos (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 1:08

We are building a new home on the family farm and we are leaning towards LED can lights. I have read lots of great things about the Cree CR6. My electrician has not installed LED's before so I was wondering what the most economical way to install is... standard 6" cans with Cree CR6bulbs, Cree housings, Edison base cans and Edison Cree lamps? What dimmers do you recommend for these lights?

Are there good LED products out there for outdoor flood light use? I am thinking of all the places I do not want to change a light bulb for 10-20 yrs. :)

What type of dimmable UCL do you rec for kitchen?

I know that Maryland has a subsidy for LED lights at time of purchase. Is it worth it to drive up there to get some if we are having a large number of lights? The house is 5000 sq ft and we are planning around 80 recessed cans. When I add them up it seems unrealistic, but we want 4 cans in each BR along with central fixture. Cans lighting hallways and kitchen-living area, mudroom, office, laundry.

Any other advice gladly taken! Thanks in advance for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help choose LED cans for new build... prices?

Cree housings could be slightly more costly than cans from HD/ Lowes.

Lutron CL dimmers.

Direct wire UCL - Philips eW.

For outdoor flood lighting, get some ideas from Creelighting.com

The DIY UCL Continuation thread and LED recessed lighting guide on this forum contain more information.

o
RE: Help choose LED cans for new build... prices?

I'm in Maryland, and I'm not aware of a current residential subsidy for the CR6 units. Before January 1, they were showing as little as $20 from Home Depot in New Jersey, but they appear to be back to $35 up there now. They are still showing $20 in store 6228, Bloomfield CT and elsewhere in CT. I am seeing $25 in Portland, OR, and in the Pittsburgh area, and $30 in Virginia Beach.

Oddly, the 5000K version of the CR6 is not being rebated, and is $37 everywhere. I'd really like a 3500K version without paying the premium for the LR6.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here