Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solar powered outdoor lights

Posted by SolarLightFan (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 19, 11 at 0:09

I am interested in solar lights for outdoor areas around the home and garden. There are more and more variations of these lights appearing on the market these days as they become more popular.

My question is could someone help me by suggesting the top 5 makers of these types of lights. I believe there to be a lot of cheap and nasty makes out there and so it would be good to know how or where I could discover the better made brands.

Hopefully someone can help, thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solar powered outdoor lights

Don't know if many on this board would know what brands are available in Australia. I personally use low voltage lights as my property is too shaded to use solar lighting.

o

Thank you texasredhead, sometimes brand names are worldwide and thought that maybe there were some common brands available but I guess the popular retailers would mainly only stock the better brands anyway.

o

I don't think there are a top five brands of solar lights.
they all appear to be junk and inadequate in my book.

as texasredhead mentioned, low voltage is the way to go,
and most bulbs can be replaced with LEDs.

fred

o

Hi Fred, thank you for your response. I appreciate your opinion and accept that some solar lights can be rather delicate but I also think that there is a place for them in this day and age. In days gone by solar lights were quite inefficient but the updated models have improved a lot and can be useful in the right place.

o

Go with commercial grade fixtures. The residential types aren't manufactured to the same quality and degree of industrial or commercial grade.

o

Thank you for your suggestion azlighting. Where would I be able to buy commercial solar lighting?

o

Where would I be able to buy commercial solar lighting?
Check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google results-commercial solar lighting

o

Hi chemocurl, thank you for the link. Why didn't I think of that? I checked some of those out and did find some commercial solar flood lights that would be great around the home and garden, although they are quite a bit more expensive, $300 compared to $80 for the domestic models. They are rated at being as bright as 100w to 150w, which is fantastic and way more than the domestic variety. I guess you get what you pay for!

o

I guess you get what you pay for!

Exactly. If you price out PV panels, charge controllers, and batteries for a home solar system, you'll see why commercial quality solar fixtures might be pricey. They're far more complex than a simple housing, socket, and bulb.

Cheap home center solar lights are mostly junk, built to cost a few dollars and last a few seasons.

o

Hi David, thank you for your input. You have a very valid point and I guess the manufacturers market to the masses as that is where the biggest market for them is. At the same time it is good to have the choice of commercial or domestic, do you agree?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here