Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pendant lights above island in kitchen with 8ft ceilings

Posted by lrumbar (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 10:41

Hi All -- I am trying to get some feedback on what people think about pendant lights on 8 foot ceilings? We are getting a new 8ft by 4 ft island with our new kitchen, and my original thought was to do 3 pendant lights above it, but we tore out 2 walls so the kitchen is open to both the living and dining area so I wouldn't want to block our view. We thought the pendants could drop down about 12-14 inches and we could still see, but that seems really short to me?? Any feedback?? Thanks! Leah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pendant lights above island in kitchen with 8ft ceilings

Leah, what did you end up doing?

I have an 8ft ceiling in my kitchen and am hesitant to put in pendant lights over my island. I'm less concerned about blocking a view and more concerned about the 'look'. Does a pendant light from an 8ft ceiling look out of proportion? Any advice or pics would be appreciated.

o

I have the same question. My kitchen cabinet designer says that pendants look too short with an 8 foot ceiling. So I should get recessed instead. Any other thoughts here?

o

there is no min for celing height for pendents.....i'd stick to the low volatge pendents they look much better also hang on a thin coax cable as compared to a thick rod or thick wire....check out some of the applacation shots at lbl lighting web site and tech lighting web site.....pm with any questions i'm a lighting designer so can help out.....remember that pendents hang about 2.5 ft off a counter top....just above eye level.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here