Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desy_gw

Buying a new washer/dryer

Desy
12 years ago

Hello,

Could anyone recommend a decent washer and dryer please (or what to stay away from). Here are my specs

1) most important a DEPENDABLE unit( I don't want to deal with repairs)

2) up to $ 1000 per appliance (the lower the better, but if the machine is worth it not a deal breaker)

3)dryer - not to shrink cloths, as well as take too long to dry them (more 1 hour)

3) no preference FL or TL, no fashion requirements, no fancy cycles, although I would not mind some extra features in case they work well

4) good warranty and cs, although I hope not to need it

5)energy efficient if possible

6)little scared of automatic sensors, so in case there are any, to work well

Here is my current laundry situation: Family of 2, potentially kids in near future. Currently 3 (to 4) loads a week. Medium capacity, not sure in cu feet, but hate when not much fits in the washer or they are way too big so utilities go to waist. I like cotton, so many of my cloths are 100% cotton, somewhat are delicate, but nothing super special. I don't like constantly checking on the machines while doing laundry, mostly making trips back and forth to make sure the dryer is not over drying and ruining the cloths. It would be a bonus if the dryer does not tangle sheets, but not a deal breaker.

I realize it is wishful thinking on my behalf, but if anyone knows any decent units out there, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (9)

• dave1812
    12 years ago

1. sensors work great

2. FL HE use very little water and the clothes come out with so little water in them that drying times is GREATLY reduced. it will NOT take an hour to dry clothes!!

3. FL leave clothes extremely clean and I would NEVER, EVER, EVER go back to a TL.

I don't get into which brand is better other than I'd say be leery of Electrolux. too many issues with the doors and salespeople and repair people aren't keen on their failure reate. don't be swayed by ads. having said that, I really like my electrolux DW.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Bosch Vision 500 WFVC6450UC Washer $886.36 delivered.
    Bosch Vision 500 WTVC6330US Dryer $850.56 delivered.

These units are being discontinued so they are on clearance. You might be able to find a better deal locally.

Most energy/water efficent 27" units(Vision in general) sold in USA.

I only have the washer. Had it for two years no problems.
    Two people I recommended it to bought pair with no problems.Electrical components are high quality made in Germany Bosch-Siemens parts. Rest of parts are made and assembled in New Bern,North Carolina.

Best thing I like about the washer is it engages its on board heater on all cycles.

One practicle benefit is my whites get really white.

Sanitary cycle reaches 170 degrees F.

Stain removal button breaks down cycle into 12 different temperature zones and washes at least 3 minutes in each zone.

That means it cleans all stains and no stains set in.
    So far:)

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

You will get night & day opinions on FL vs TL.

IMO and you can research this yourself TL are more dependable "in general".
    They do not have even remotely close to the mold/mildew problems of FL.
    They do not suffer from the inherent premature bearing failure problems.
    Nor are they prone to seal leaks like FL.

You can of course get lucky and buy a FL and never have a problem for 10 years as long as you are diligent about cleaning it and leaving the door open.

We bought a LG WT5101HV Washer with matching Dryer after quiet a bit of research.

It is a HE TL, the difference in water & electricity usage between that and the nearest FL in size (4.5cu.ft) I figured out to roughly between $7-$10 per YEAR, so totally meaningless efficiency difference.

As for clothes cleaning, it is fantastic, have zero complaints in that department.
    It is quiet, seems well made.
    It has an 1100rpm spin so clothes come out virtually dry so Drying times are very short.

It has 2 true Hot water cycles, one is Sanitary which last almost 3 hours and heats the water to between 155-158 degrees.
    The second is Bright Whites which last almost 90 minutes and heats the water to between 120-122 degrees.
    So if you are one of those people that must wash everything in super hot water for some reason then your wash times will be 90 minutes plus.

The warm cycles depends on how your house is set up and what temp your water heater is set to and if you have a recirculator or are able to flush the cold water from your how water line prior to running the machine.

On mine I get anywhere between 80-90 degree warm wash cycles, with 54 degree cold water coming in and hot water coming in at 126 degrees from water heater, IF I flush my hot water line prior to starting.

Now we wash I would say 85+% of all our laundry in Cold water of which this machine really shines at.
    The method of which it washes by "pushing the detergent water through the cloths" works very well especially in cold water.

We pretty much only wash Whites and very dirty "greasy" items in Hot water of which it also does a very good job of.

The Dryer does have sensors which are working very well.
    We can wash a small load and throw it in the dryer, set it to what ever and even if that cycle is supposed to last up to 40-50 minutes it will dry the clothes, sense they are dry and turn off sometimes in just 5-10 minutes and 90% of the time the clothes are perfectly dry.
    Sometimes a single piece might have a section or something that isn't bone dry but in general is does very well without over drying your clothes and wasting electricity.

All in all I am very pleased with them, though have only had them for a few months now.

• asolo
    12 years ago

Don't worry about the "sensors". They work fine. You'll like them.

It's a machine. Something will probably go wrong sometime. Whether or not something goes wrong with yours sooner than you think it should is unknowable. If/when it does, it will probably cost more to fix than you think it should. Gather as much info as you can and make a decision. Same for everyone.

ATC (automatic temperature control...heavily advertised) is worthless although almost anything you'll be considering will have it. Get one with a heater. They do work. You'll never get an actual "hot" wash unless you have one.

Buy locally, if possible. Washers/Dryers for most people are everyday work-horses. You don't want something that nobody in your immediately locale is capable of working on or getting parts for.

FWIW....I have had Duet 9400 FL for almost 7 years. (Two other family members have had same machine with same experience for shorter periods. ) It's been more-or-less perfect from day one but it is at least two generations old by now so I'm not up on current offerings. If shopping today, I would have to start over.

• dreamgarden
    12 years ago

We bought a Whirlpool Cabrio earlier this year. It requires high efficiency detergent.

Even though it doesn't have an agitator, it puts holes in your clothes.

I wish I'd read this article before I purchased it.

A link that might be useful:

www.informationbible.com/article-what-is-the-worst-washing-machine-46835.html

• oasisowner
    12 years ago

We bought a traditional TL Speed Queen (AWN432) a year and a half ago. Paid $700 or so. Holds a lot, no problems, great warranty. We are very pleased after problems with two different brands of HE TL's. The only person I know with a FL has a Whirlpool Duet and is very happy with it.

• cj47
    12 years ago

I'd say be leery of Electrolux. too many issues with the doors and salespeople and repair people aren't keen on their failure reate"

Dave1812, you've mentioned this before. Can you please elaborate on what exactly is prone to failure on the E'lux machines? What problems are your salespeople and repair people seeing? Thanks much for the additional information.

Cj

• Desy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much,

I appreciate your suggestions and giving me some great pointers. I would further research those particular models and see if any local store offers them at the moment.

Desy

• elbits
    12 years ago

I bought Speed Queens last month. The top loader holds more than I thought it would.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler