Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookert_gw

Thoughts about the Consumer Reports detergent ratings....

bookert
12 years ago

Interesting for sure.... saw a friends issue and peeked for a moment.

Your thoughts?

Vaska about at the bottom! What! =)

I have a hard time with some of their ratings.

I've discovered what I like about Tide Total Care is the smell and downy like softness I get with delicates.

I don't use it for my clothing but my daughters. Notice the difference for sure.

Someone had posted awhile back the benefits of using it, but I've forgotten..

Anyone know if the SA8 has OB's? I like powder detergents best.

Thanks!

Comments (19)

• livebetter
    12 years ago

I'm sure you'll get varied opinions on your question.

While not all of CR tests may be "perfect", how hard can it be to stain fabric and see how each detergent fares removing them? Seems fairly straight forward to me.

I know, what's the water hardness, what machine did they use, what cycle, etc ... I think if all the swatches were washed with the same parameters it doesn't really matter.

What I don't think they account for is different washing needs. While Tide with Bleach might be the best at removing a myriad of different stains, not everything I wash needs that kind of power. The gentler detergents which come in down the list (like Vaska) treat fabric more gently.

I have several detergents in my "arsenal" and I use them according to what I'm washing.

I would like to see CR include information like how well a detergent rinses and how it fades/doesn't fade colors. I sure wish we had detergents like in Europe (one for whites and one for colors).

As for SA8 - yes contains OBAs.

Sodium Carbonate, Pareth-25-7, Citric Acid, Fumaric Acid, Hydrated Silica, Cellulose Gum, Water, Amylase, Protease, Fluorescent Brightener (Distyryl Biphenyl Derivative), Fragrance

• bookert
    Original Author
    12 years ago

livebetter,

I concur!

Thank you for providing the ingredient info on the SA8, where did you find the info if I might ask?
    I smelled some of the powder detergent at a clients and I really liked the scent! Mild and pleasant IMO.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@bookert, see link attached for where I got the ingredients.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amway - SA8 Bioquest

• bookert
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm embarrassed to say I googled and found the info after posting my reply. DUH! So sorry!
    Thanks livebetter!
    I don't think I will buy any at $40 + shipping + tax for 120 load box of powder. Oh well....

• Kappen
    12 years ago

So where is the CR list. We all don't subscribe.

• Cavimum
    12 years ago

@Kappen - We cannot publish the list here, because it is copyrighted material. Perhaps your local library has a hard copy.

• Kappen
    12 years ago

I seriously doubt you can get in trouble for posting the brands they tested in no particular order unless of course CR is going to attempt to assert they own all the brand names. I didn't ask for their review or any content they created.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

I also assumed you were asking for the CR rank list? Why would you want to know which brands they tested if not to know the order in which they rank them?

ALL CONSUMER REPORTS CONTENT
    The contents of the All-Consumer-Reports.com site are intended for your personal, noncommercial use. All materials published on All-Consumer-Reports.com (including, but not limited to news articles, photographs, images, illustrations, audio also known as the "Content") are protected by copyright, and owned or contrpled by The ALL CONSUMER REPORTS Company, All-Consumer-Reports.com, or the party credited as the provider of the Content. You shall abide by all additional copyright notices, information, or restrictions contained in any Content accessed through the Service.

The Content is protected by copyright pursuant to U.S. and international copyright laws. You may not modify, publish, transmit, participate in the transfer or sale of, reproduce (except as provided in Section 3 of these Terms of Service), create new works from, distribute, perform, display, or in any way exploit, any of the Content in whpe or in part.

You may download or copy the Content for personal use only, provided that you maintain all copyright and other notices contained therein. Copying or storing of any Content for other than personal use is expressly prohibited without prior written permission from All-Consumer-Reports.com or the copyright hpder identified in the copyright notice contained in the Content.

ALL CONSUMER REPORTS Company employs ADVANCED WEBâÂÂS PLAGIARISM DETECTION SERVICE.

If ALL CONSUMER REPORTS Company discovers that its content has been stpen, then The ALL CONSUMER REPORTS Company reserves the rights under the copyright laws and DMCA to do the fplowing:

-Email the webmaster@the domain
    -Contact the web hosting company used by the site and inform it of their customerâÂÂs abuse
    -File a notice of Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) with search engines such as Google

Here is a link that might be useful: CR Content Disclaimer

• livebetter
    12 years ago

OMG ... I posted the wrong info ... duh ...

This should be the right one :)

Copyright and Trademarks.

All materials available on the Site and through the Mobile Services, including without limitation text, data, images, software and downloadable software applications, audio and video clips, databases, and ratings, (collectively, the "Content") are owned or controlled by CU or the party credited as the provider of the Content. The respective owner retains all right, title, and interest in and to its Content. The Site and Content are protected by the copyright and trademark laws of the United States and other countries, international conventions, and other applicable laws.

You may not download, display, reproduce, create derivative works from, transmit, sell, distribute, or in any way exploit Content available via the Site or the Mobile Services, including without limitation our product reviews and ratings and those product reviews and ratings posted by other users, for any public and/or commercial use without the prior written permission of CU.

You agree not to use any trademarks, service marks, names, logos, or other identifiers of CU or its employees, licensors, independent contractors, providers and affiliates (collectively, "Affiliates") without the prior written permission of CU or the relevant Affiliate. In addition, you may not use our trademarks:

(a) in, as, or as part of, your own trademarks or those of any third parties;

(b) to identify products or services that are not those of Consumers Union;

(c) in a manner likely to cause confusion; or

(d) in a manner that implies that Consumers Union sponsors or endorses or is otherwise connected with your own activities, products, and services or those of third parties.

CONSUMERS UNION, CONSUMER REPORTS, and other related marks used on this Site and in the Mobile Services are registered trademarks of Consumers Union of U. S., Inc. in the United States and other countries.

Here is a link that might be useful: CR User Agreement

• Kappen
    12 years ago

Nope I don't want rankings (nor do I really care how they were ranked by CR based on their broken tests) just brands so the above does not apply. I want brands to see if there are any I was unaware of.

• asolo
    12 years ago

Looks like I'd better turn myself in, criminal that I am.....and have been for so many years.

• Kappen
    12 years ago

Asolo these online magazines would have you believe that anything they utter is theirs to dictate how its used. They however seem to be totally forgeting fair use laws which they can't have you sign away.

• herring_maven
    12 years ago

Kappen: Nope I don't want rankings (nor do I really care how they were ranked by CR based on their broken tests) just brands so the above does not apply. I want brands to see if there are any I was unaware of.

And therein lies the rub. A problem with just about every Consumer Reports test is that typically there are hundreds of brands, and often several variants within brands, and each variant and brand has its own strengths and weaknesses and directions to follow for most effective use.

Consumers Union cannot possibly test them all, and therefore must test only a select portion. CU's filter criteria most commonly are the rather arbitrary duet of sales figures (where available) -- to test the most prevalent brands -- and whether the products are readily available in southern Connecticut where CU is located. Occasionally, CU will wander off the reservation to test a regionally distributed product that is not found on Greenwich or Cos Cob supermarket shelves, but such instances are rare.

Moreover, if the purpose is to run standardized tests, then, a priori, any special use instructions for individual products must be ignored.

Over many years, we have used just about every variant of Tide, and had no complaints. But for the past decade or so, we have used Biokleen All-Temperature Liquid (which is the version free of enzymes), with a scoop (about 1/3 cup) of Borax added to each load. Our clothes never have been washed cleaner, and we never have had any odor problem whatsoever with our front-loading washers.

But the November 2011 issue of Consumer Reports, where the results of tests of laundry detergents were published, did not include tests of Biokleen, and did not test the effect of adding borax to a wash load.

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

Oh for goodness sake... Consumer Reports can copyright the actual article content as well as the graphics it created, but cannot restrict people from discussing the article as well as its conclusions. Here is what CR concluded in terms of HE detergent ranking (in order):

1. Tide HE Plus Bleach Alternative
    2. Tide Ultra HE
    3. Wisk New Stain Spectrum Techonology Deep Clean HE
    4. Tide Plus Febreze HE
    5. All with Oxi Active HE
    6. Tide HE
    7. Up & Up HE Fresh Breeze (Target) * BEST BUY *
    8. Kirkland Signature Ultra HE
    9. Seventh Generation Natural Superconcentrated
    10. Era 2X Ultra HE
    11. Legacy of Clean SA8 plus Bioquest HE
    12. Seventh Generation 2X Concentrated Natural liquid Free & Clear HE
    13. Gain Ultra Original HE Concentrated
    14. Method SmartClean Technology Fresh Air 8X Concentrated HE
    15. Ecover Laundry Wash HE
    16. Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day HE
    17. Legacy of Clean SA8 Triple Liquid HE
    18. Clorox Green Works Natural Laundry Detergent
    19. Purex Complete with Zout
    20. Cheer BrightClean HE
    21. Purex 2X Ultra Coldwater
    22. All 2X Ultra with Stainlifter HE
    23. All 3X Ultra Small & Mighty HE
    24. Purex Complete 3-in-1 Laundry Sheets
    25. Whole Foods Market 2x Concentrated
    26. Purex Ultra
    27. Oxydol 2X Concentrated Fresh 'N Clean HE
    28. Vaska 2x Concentrated Herbatergent HE
    29. dropps 6x Concentrated
    30. Woolite Complete
    31. Ecos 2X Ultra Magnolia & Lily HE
    32. Biokleen Cold-Water 3X Concentrated HE
    33. Martha Stewart Clean Laundry Detergent HE
  • Kappen
    12 years ago

Who makes Kirkland, I never heard of it. I was also hoping sears would be on the list.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@sshrivastava, way to live dangerously ... LOL ... ;)

Kirkland is Costco.

• izeve
    12 years ago

Interesting to see Wisk so high up on the list. I almost bought a bottle when I was at Walmart yesterday as they had a good price on it, but I didn't care for the scent.

My daughter is bringing me some UK Persil and Ariel to try when she comes home for Christmas so I'm looking forward to that.

• bernise6
    12 years ago

I don't think it's possible to have a one size fits all list for detergent because everyones water, washers and wash habits are all different. IMO, experiment around to find out what works for your situation.

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

P&G has snagged 5 out of the top 10 spots... Does anyone wonder why P&G produces so many different versions of Tide? This way Tide always dominates the charts. I don't think this is fair, and Consumer Reports should test the basic Tide HE powder/liquid and not the variants. Fewer Tide varieties tested = more non-P&G products