Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jfob

help - clothes very twisted with the LG 5101

jfob
12 years ago

I've had my LG 5101 for about a week and a half and so far, so good, except that the clothes are very twisted at the end of the wash, much more so than with my old agitator TL. It seems worse with larger loads. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Comments (14)

• gates1
    12 years ago

How are you soring your clothes and what wash cycle are you choosing for each load that is twisted.

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

Have no idea, we just put clothes in their appropriate groups be they Whites, Normal cotton like Jeans etc, delicates.

Throw them in the tub, put in the detergent, close the lid hit the button and never have any problems with "twisting".

• jfob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've been sorting by colors as I have always done, so jeans are in the same load as tshirts, etc as long as they're all darks or lights. After my load last night I began wondering if I need to sort more by durability, so tshirts together, jeans separately, etc. I'm still getting used to the cycles. For clothes I've been using whites or pure color. Last night's load that prompted me to post was pure color.

And as long as I'm asking questions, I can't get my towels to come out soft even with fabric softener (they did with my old washer). I've been using the towel cycle for washing and drying. Any suggestions here, too?

Thanks for the help!

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

It could actually be the fabric softener that could be making your towels seem a bit rough.
    If the fabric softener builds up it can do that.

I would try washing them in the Bright Whites cycle so it is a HOT wash and use 2 extra rinses. Also add water to make sure there is plenty of water.
    On your first rinse add about a 1/2 cup of white vinegar, the 2nd & 3rd rinses will get rid of the vinegar smell.

Then you can also put 2-3 new tennis balls in the dryer with the towels which can also help fluff them up.

• gates1
    12 years ago

I have the wave force with the heater. For colored clothes, I use the cotton/ normal cycle. Jeans, I use the towels, or cotton cycle, T shirts..cotton cycle, black jeans, pure color cycle. I wash jeans alone and everything according to to weight and durablity. Sheets go on bulky bedding cycle as with blankets and I never wash them together because blanets will throw lint. My towels come out very soft, of course softer with fabric softener in them. Heavy duty is a vigerous cycle so only my work jeans go in it or cleaning rags. If your towels are stiff, try washing them in hot water on the bulky cycle, you may have a build up of detergent in them and add the extra rinses availible on the control panel.

• dadoes
    12 years ago

I've been sorting by colors as I have always done, so jeans are in the same load as tshirts, etc as long as they're all darks or lights. After my load last night I began wondering if I need to sort more by durability, so tshirts together, jeans separately, etc.Yes, it's much more important with these HE toploaders to sort by fabric weight. I would never wash jeans with t-shirts (or with knits or any kind of casuals) in any machine.

• cindyklein
    12 years ago

Simply put LG is a lousy brand and you didn't do yourself any favors by purchasing a toploader.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

"Simply put LG is a lousy brand"

Could you enlighten us all with your proof of this statement or is this just your "opinion"?

• markb
    12 years ago

Let me guess........another troll with a "drive-by" posting trying to stir the pot.

• gates1
    12 years ago

Cindyklein...WHATEVER BIOTCH!

• jfob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input - lots of laundry to do this weekend so will give the weighted sorting a try.

• jfob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I tried the weighted sorting and still have lots of twisting - long sleeved shirts come out in almost a knot. It's not that big a deal for things going into the dryer - they're coming out wrinkle free. But, I do hang dry some clothes and they're looking awful! Any other suggestions on how to reduce the tangling? I also ran my towles on a sanitary cyle over night - some were softer but some were still scratchy. I read on another post about running a hot cycle and adding vinegar to wash to get out any build-up. I've never done that - where and when do I add it?

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

add the vinegar at the beginning of the first rinse cycle, run at least 2 rinse cycles if not 3.
    Also you can add tennis balls in the dryer to help fluff.
    Might also try to add water to certain loads that are more prone to twisting.

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

I've got the twisting problem too, but I have a Kenmore Elite front loader. I just always figured that the twisting was the price you had to pay for a front loader. Most of my clothes come out of the dryer fine, but jeans (especially) that were twisted will often come out of the dryer with funky wrinkles in the legs. I shake out the twisted clothes before putting them in the dryer & I empty the dryer promptly upon the end of the cycle. If anyone has any other suggestions, please send them on.

As far as the towels go, try running them on a hot wash with a prewash with no detergent. The roughness is often detergent that didn't rinse out well. You would be amazed by the amount of suds that often result. You can also try using Charlie's Soap laundry detergent going forward. Many people on the laundry forum swear by it. I will say it leaves towels cuddly soft without having to use softener (softener makes the towel less absorbent). You can use the Charlie's soap to clean your washer of detergent & softener residue too.

For your hanging clothes, you can try shaking them out, hanging them/laying them out on a flat surface & once dry, pop them in the dryer for just a few minutes to help any remaining wrinkles fall out. As long as you keep it to just a few minutes in the dryer on a warm setting, it won't be long enough for any damage or shrinking to occur.