Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djdoggone

Is Something Going on with Miele?

djdoggone
9 years ago

We are in the market for a new Miele washer and dryer. There is only one model residential washer for sale on their website.

Are they coming out with new models? (Generation 6000?) or is something else going on?

Comments (14)

• practigal
    9 years ago

Following their failure to conquer the large size washer market, they seem to be conspicuously absent from many of the showrooms that they used to inhabit. Given the coming regulatory changes they may have decided that what they have out there is all that they want to put out there for now and they'll wait and see what happens when the consumer market realizes that new regulations are in effect.

• djdoggone
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was hoping the Prestige washer and dryer were on their way. With a 37% hike in electric prices this year, on top of a 12% hike two years ago, we could use machines that are 40% more efficient than the top rated. Though they look bigger than my current Miele's, which need to fit in that 24" under counter space.

• mrb627
    9 years ago

Miele may be planning on pulling up stakes from the North American marketplace in the coming year. They have lost considerable market share to, dare I say it, China.

Hope I am wrong on this...

MRB

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

"we could use machines that are 40% more efficient than the top rated."

The savings only apply to specific cycles, namely Cottons Eco 40ðC and 60ðC at max load. Running time: 2:59 hours. The matching dryer takes another three hours to dry this load.

• djdoggone
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holy Cow! Miele leaving the US?! We'd be in a world of hurt if that were the case. To make room for 27" machines would require a major ($$$) renovation -- we looked into it.

What to do?

Geez

• Cavimum
    9 years ago

@whirlpool trainee - did I read that correctly? Three hours to wash and three hours to dry?

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

Yes, if you follow the energy label testing scheme, you're looking at six hours to do a load of laundry. To do so, however, you'll have to force 20 pounds of laundry in the washer/dryer because that is the capacity Miele claims these machines can hold. The main reason for these long cycles (three hours is nothing, how about 6.5 hours) is the fact that

- in Germany, a washing machine isn't allowed be sold unless it achieves the highest Cleaning Performance Class (A)

- customers want the best Energy Efficiency Class

- most people are obsessed with capacity claims

The meet these "needs" (and those of the Energy Label), manufacturers have developed long cycles, clearly labeled as Cottons Eco 60ð and Cottons Eco 40ðC, that wash at lower temps but, in turn, for a very extended amount of time to clean the jam-packed load completely.

In the real world, most people don't bother with the Eco cycles and use the regular ones instead, giving up, what?, ten Cents in energy savings but getting clean clothes (and dishes) in a reasonable amount of time.

None of this should concern you, though, as Energy Star and the European system work differently.

• malba2366
    9 years ago

I doubt Miele is leaving the USA market because of chinese appliances as you suggest...very few people cross shop miele products with the cheapest appliances. Miele just released a new lineup of pro style ranges which are aimed at the US market, I doubt they would have done so if they were planning on leaving the market
    They probably pulled back on laundry because they are unable to make machines profitably for the US market that meet their high standards.

• djdoggone
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Man, Whirlpool Trainee, glad you set me straight! The last thing I need is a large capacity machine with LONG run times. There are just two of us, living in a 720 s.f. cottage. We have downsized EVERYTHING for our retirement, including the number of clothes we have so we do small loads throughout the week. And, living with a dog who spends time with livestock and wildlife means washing at higher temperatures. That's why I LOVE my W1213 and loathe the idea of giving up the 95-degree sanitize cycle.

Sounds like the remaining model would be a better choice for us IF Miele will be around to repair it. Any advice as to where I go to get the skinny? Would New Jersey tell me the truth if I asked?

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

dj-- I have the 3035 and love it. Compact, efficient. I had a 240v Asko with 190F setting and find the Miele with the 165F setting gets clothes as clean/cleaner. I use their 165F setting for stain removal and it takes out coffee and blood really well.

Persil/Henkels also makes a disinfecting rinse product that could supplement.

• djdoggone
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks rococogurl. I know you were responsible for the Miele cheat sheet so I guess you know your stuff vis-a-vis stains. I'm thinking more of germs. I have a compromised immune system and a working dog. It just feels good to nearly boil the doggie stuff. But it is probably overkill :-)

• Cavimum
    9 years ago

Wow, thank you Alex. I cannot imagine the clothing would last long after a 6-hour tumble every time, from all the friction. It will certainly keep the clothing stores and factories in business, thus offsetting any environmental savings.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Someone would likely point out that the dryer takes care of germs but I suppose it depends what one is talking about.

If it was something like anthrax from animals though, heat wouldn't do it. CDC told me only chlorine bleach kills that.

I don't think it's overkill. You're being smart and safe.

• lee676
    9 years ago

My 240v Bosch 24"w washer takes only a reasonable 73 minutes to do a normal/cotton cycle with cold fill heated to 120F, four rinses, and 1200rpm spin. If I leave out the extra fourth rinse it takes only 60 minutes. And it cleans superbly.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living