Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookert_gw

How do you wash a real silk filled comforter?

bookert
13 years ago

I don't want to have this dry cleaned as I don't like the nasty chemicals and smell dry cleaning has.

I've aired this out, but my son refuses to use a duvet cover and I need to launder this more than a few times a year.

Not icky, but I like to keep it clean. It has a white cotton exterior.

I've googled this and read until my eyes hurt with no real answer.

Wet cleaning is an option, but I need an expert to decode what that means. I know it doesn't mean to wash it in the machine at home.

Any suggestions?

Thanks much!

Comments (15)

• bookert
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oasisowner,

Wow, thanks for the info!
    I'd hoped the machine wash method would work in a pinch.
    I have to find a silk duvet I suppose. Haven't had luck in finding any except in China. Not comfortable with that...
    Would it be too expensive to buy silk charmeuse fabric and have someone make one??
    Thanks again!

• oregpsnow
    13 years ago

You might look for a higher-end microfiber duvet. I have one that looks and feels like silk but it can be washed every week and not show any signs of wear. My cat loves it, too, which is why it gets washed so often.

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

bookert, someone gave me washing instructions on a similar thread.

The retailer of my silk duvet says the silk clumps up if you wash it.

I also won't use a duvet cover. I don't know your son's reason for not wanting one but my reason for wanting down or silk is so that it's lightweight, and a duvet cover adds weight and bulk. If you get a silk cover made, consider silk with a matte finish. As noted in the attached thread, mine has a silk cover and it's always sliding and slipping off my bed.

Here is a link that might be useful: washing a 100% silk duvet

• bookert
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oregpsnow,
    Thanks for the suggestion. See my post below.... =)

bigdoglover,

Yes, my sons clumped just a little, but his was from Overstock and is sewn in baffles. It's been perfect for him since he doesn't like bulk and he can just throw it on his bed quickly with no fuss when making his bed! =) He won't use a duvet cover due to it being difficult to put in when I wash it! Go figure! =) Teenageritis!

Yes, my silk quilt slides off the bed whether under the top comforter or on top of the bed too. BUT, I LOVE IT!!! =)
    I just purchased the silk filled comforter and sadly it isn't encased in a silk outer covering, so I'm hunting for a silk duvet cover to place it in. It's much better quality than my son's, but his serves him very well I might add.
    I thought about buying sheets and having someone sew them together for a duvet, but it's costly!
    I'm open to suggestions, but will say I already have a cotton duvet it's in. I'm looking for a silk one for the health benefits and comfort I get from it.
    Thanks much!!
    Blessings for a wonderful Christmas season.

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

bookert, I'm so sorry -- I didn't realize it was you who gave me the washing instructions that I referred you to in my post! Please forgive me!! I need to do better at recognizing gardenweb names.

• nerdyshopper
    13 years ago

There is one dry cleaning process that used liquid carbon dioxide under pressure instead of solvents. You may find it advertized in the yellow pages or you can call any thst claim to be environmentally friendly and ask. The stuff is a very good solvent, even used to remove caffeine from coffee. After they spin off the solvent and release the pressure the last traces simply turn back into CO2.

• Irene Bolland
    6 years ago

I washed the outer cover of my authentic chineses silk duvet only. I carefully removed the silk fiber layers from inside,put it out to air,washed and ironed the cover,and carefully put the silk layers back in. It's as good as new now. Delighted!

• enduring
    6 years ago

Did you take pictures? I would love to see what the inside of the duvet looked like.

• hisown
    6 years ago

I have machine washed mine a couple of times. I keep it in a duvet at all times, but it is at least five years old, so I washed it recently again. The silk inside did clump a tiny bit, but I find it still perfectly usable. Once the duvet is back on, I don't notice any difference in how it looks or feels.

I washed in warm water, and ran it in the dryer on low. Worked for me.

I LOVE sleeping under silk. Nothing is more comfortable, and nothing breathes better.

• Cheryl Brannan
    5 years ago

• Cheryl Brannan
    5 years ago

Wuhan, China.

• HU-755032350
    5 years ago

Does anyone have any recommendations where I can buy a silk-fiber filled comforter? Years ago (either 2010, or 2013), I purchased one on eBay. Didn't keep track of the receipts, or brand. But I love it - even though there are some serious bunching in it. At that time it cost me $85.

I washed it at home a couple times, and it seems to have some serious bunches (or maybe the sewing that held it stretched isn't there anymore).

Recently, I started looking for another one. I am not seeing it or anything like it anywhere online. Costco has one. Description says it is mulberry silk. When it arrived, it feels more like a typical comforter - filled with foam instead of threads. Plus it has makes a papery rustling sound when I move around.

This one was on sale for $140.

I am hoping I can find one similar to the older one I purchased - at a reasonable price.

Thank you,

And Happy New Year.

• HU-980240013
    5 years ago

Does anyone have tips on how to de-clump a washed silk comforter? My parents gave me one they got from China a few years ago and I didn't realize I wasn't suppose to get it wet. It's all clumped up now and after a thorough and vigorous fluff session, it's still not quite what it used to be before the wash.

• S Bruch
    7 months ago

I know this an old thread at this point but if looking to purchase, Costco seeks really nice silk filled duvets.